Mixed feelings about this item

Started by Alan Glasser, March 05, 2012, 10:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Glasser

Hello, everyone.

In my e-mail today I received an ad containing several coin watches. Well, I know that this is nothing new, but somehow it verifies that beautiful silver collector coins are being melted, turned into jewelry and whatnot...forever destroying them as collectable coins and examples of the history they represent. Personally, if someone gave me one, I would wear it because I like the look (as a collector), but I would never buy one because I am unhappy about the loss of 1 more collector coin.

Peter, if you're out there. I have to thank you for this adjustment in my thinking. When you wrote about the gorgeous Finnish commemoratives being exchanged at face value buy the mint (I assume) I looked at photos of them and was so dismayed that these lovely coins would be turned into necklaces, watches and dental work....it was a bit of a heartbreaker. Still is. Your words really stuck with me, Peter.  Alan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Prosit

That appears to be an Austrian 1937 2 Schilling.
Mintage 500k.  Here is my example.
It is a shame about the coin but it is a good looking watch
I wonder if they cut the coin in half to keep some silver...

Dale

Quote from: alglasser on March 05, 2012, 10:11:09 PM
Hello, everyone.

In my e-mail today I received an ad containing several coin watches. Well, I know that this is nothing new, but somehow it verifies that beautiful silver collector coins are being melted, turned into jewelry and whatnot...forever destroying them as collectable coins and examples of the history they represent. Personally, if someone gave me one, I would wear it because I like the look (as a collector), but I would never buy one because I am unhappy about the loss of 1 more collector coin.

Peter, if you're out there. I have to thank you for this adjustment in my thinking. When you wrote about the gorgeous Finnish commemoratives being exchanged at face value buy the mint (I assume) I looked at photos of them and was so dismayed that these lovely coins would be turned into necklaces, watches and dental work....it was a bit of a heartbreaker. Still is. Your words really stuck with me, Peter.  Alan

Alan Glasser

Hi, Dale. Good hearing from you.

Beautiful coin you have there!!! I would bet that the other side of the coin is in a melting pot somewhere. I would expect that the watch action is particularly slim and that the "back" is stainless steel. Nice watch...but a waste of a perfectly nice collector coin.

Alan

Prosit

Thanks. I put some effort and more than a little expense in the 2 Schilling series.
Dale

Quote from: alglasser on March 05, 2012, 10:57:32 PM
Beautiful coin you have there!!! Alan

<k>

According to scientists, the banana is due to die out in the near future. Perhaps a collection of banana stickers may become valuable?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

Stickers would be OK, as long as you don't choose to collect old bananas. :) As for coins, I don't really have a problem with them being used for jewellery. Of course it would be sad if people did that with rare pieces. But with a mintage of half a million ... The "Karlskirche" coin is not expensive these days, unless you want a proof piece.

Christian

Prosit

The Erlach coin "Karlskirche", while not expensive, in uncirculated isn't exactly a cheap coin either unlike the
1932 Haydn coin (300k) which is expensive...and kinda ugly too.

Dale

(
Quote from: chrisild on March 17, 2012, 12:02:28 PM
Stickers would be OK, as long as you don't choose to collect old bananas. :) As for coins, I don't really have a problem with them being used for jewellery. Of course it would be sad if people did that with rare pieces. But with a mintage of half a million ... The "Karlskirche" coin is not expensive these days, unless you want a proof piece.

Christian

Alan Glasser

Several years back when I was still in "the errors of my youth" and fell into the slab philisophy, I acquired this coin on E-Bay. It replaced a regular, run of the mill BU. To my understanding, it was the highest graded example in he PCGS statistics. I don't have access to the satatistics any more so I am wondering what the status is now. There are probably a zillion of them now but this had only 1 bidder, me, so I got it at a "rather attractive" price. And also, I agree, it is a rather ugly coin...but Haydn is way up there in my list of admired composers so I literally bought "the best you can afford" (perhaps another outdated cliche from the American over-hyped certification racket. Sorry...,slabbed coins don't come out clearly on my new scanner. Not so sure why...need to experiment. Also, Image Shack isn't working this morning...at least for me...hope this photo appears. It's Photobucket.

Alan 

edit - link sorted - andyg

Prosit

I think my example of Haydn might go MS-63 but all I was looking for was EF. I got it at a very modest price compared to the catalog.  Still not what I call a cheap coin.