Author Topic: Four maravedis, Philip III of Spain 159?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
Four maravedis, Philip III of Spain 159?
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »
Members of the French language Numismatique forum have not succeeded in identifying this coin. Can you help them in the spirit of numismatic brotherhood? 
Many thanks  ;D
4.6g
Copper
Maximum diameter: 28.5mm

AN.RT (or F) O NOR M.REX
PHILIP III D

The original post is here:
http://www.numismatique.com/forum/identifications/identifier-t50952.html
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Four maravedis, Philip III of Spain 159?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
I agree the host coin is a 4 maravedis of the period 1598-1615. I think it was counterstamped first in the reign of Felipe III to become 8 maravedis: crowned VIII in circle on one side, VIII over •8• in oval on the other side. It was counterstamped again in 1636 (or maybe 1641-1642) in the reign of Felipe IV to become 12 maravedis with counterstamps date 1636 under crown between dots in circle on one side and XII with dot(s) above and below (circular punch) on the other side.

In 1641-1642, the counterstamps were crowned date in circle and XII with dot(s) above and below (circular punch) on the other side.

Having received at least four countermarks (maybe more), partly covering each other, it is very difficult to make out which are where. The legends on the host coin once were (blue letters are visible):

right picture: castle in 8-lobbed decoration, to be turned 90° clockwise: PHILIPPVS.III.D.G.OMNIVM
left picture: lion in 8-lobbed decoration, to be turned counterclockwise (O should be at the bottom): HISPAN.REGNORVM.REX.(date)

I think the date of the host starts with 16, but I can't read the last two digits. It might be 1608, in which case the only possible mint is Segovia (mintmark is obliterated), see Cayón 4300 and 5464.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
I agree from what I can also make out given the heavy counter stamping.

I am somewhat wondering if this disn't end up as a copper style pistereen given the markings.

Offline Paris

• liaison officer
    • French-speaking coin forum
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »
Thanks ! I published your answer on numismatique.com