Author Topic: Ancient Javanese octahedron  (Read 2195 times)

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
Ancient Javanese octahedron
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »
Members of the French language Numismatique forum have not succeeded in identifying this coin. Can you help them in the spirit of numismatic brotherhood? 
Many thanks  ;D

"Iron, about 2 cm maximum, with 8 faces bearing spirals in relief. One side bears an inscription in Old Javanese probably (certainly a number).

This could be a form of currency used during the reigns of Sirijawah and Majapahit from the Indonesian archipelago before the arrival of Europeans in the 15th century."

The original post is here:
http://www.numismatique.com/forum/identifications/etrange-monnaie-t50477.html
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: Ancient Javanese octahedron
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
This could be a form of currency used during the reigns of Sirijawah and Majapahit from the Indonesian archipelago before the arrival of Europeans in the 15th century.

Yes, it could, but it wasn't. There never were any coins made of iron. The pieces shown in the catalogue of Mitchiner are without any doubt phantasy fakes, made of worn iron balls in an old mill. This piece looks more like a most modern tourist fake.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
These iron bullet shaped objects with inscription, applied by acid etching (similar to the traditional batik technique), in Malay-Arabic, Javanese and Chinese, surfaced in the market during the 1970-80’s.
They were initially attributed to a so far not indentified Sultanate of Borneo. More recent research and investigations, however, has shown that they actually concerns magical and good-luck charms, which were produced at Surabaya (Java) from about 1950 onwards.

Ref.: A Strange Tale of Talismans, by P.R. Bauquis, published in the Oriental Numismatic Society’s Newsletter. Part  I, ONS Newsletter 108 (October 1987); Part II, ONS Newsletter 109 (December 1987).

Offline Paris

• liaison officer
    • French-speaking coin forum
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:07:53 PM »
Thanks a lot !

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
Splendid work guys  8)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

akona20

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:22:22 PM »
I can attest to that. In Malaysia in 1979 and in Indonesia in the mid late 1980's I was offered similar items to ward off spirits of the evil nature. They were never offered as money but as Oesho says as a Talisman or something similar. In both instances they were offered to me after people saw my Buddhist charm hanging on the door to my room (long story). Surabaya as source is interesting.

Offline Paris

• liaison officer
    • French-speaking coin forum
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »
Thank you Akona20 !