News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Silesia, 3 kreuzer 1634, Breslau mint, KM -

Started by translateltd, February 29, 2012, 10:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

translateltd

A member of the RNSNZ brought a couple of small 17th-century silver coins along this evening for identification.  I took down details of legends and design, and googled what I could when I got home.

For one, dated 1634, I got only one hit for the reverse legend ("MON PRINC ET STAT EVAN SIL"), which is clearly from an early printed listing itself, with descriptive details in Latin:

http://tinyurl.com/6ockj5c

My colleague's coin matches the item described as no. 3 perfectly.  Can anyone add to what our late 17th/early 18th  century author has to say about it?

My C17 SCWC has nothing similar under Silesia from what I can see.  I don't have an exact weight, and am only guessing the diameter at about 20 mm.

Figleaf

From the book: a shield crowned with a ducal cap of two fields, one checkered, the other an eagle with outstretched wings, VV in the exergue. The Silesian eagle above the number 3.

From the size, I would say a 3 Kreuzer. Not in KM under Silesia or Silesia-Liegnitz-Brieg. The divided arms (Bavaria??) make no sense to me. Can't explain the STAT EVAN part of the legend. It may be the key to identification.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

Just tried another Google search without the "Stat Evan" part in case of a transcription error, and found another reference with "STAT EVANG" instead - a state of the church, perhaps, i.e. a bishopric or the like?

akona20

Moneta Principum Et Statuum Evangelicorum Silesiae;

Sorry in conference will look later

translateltd

Quote from: akona20 (zoppo) on February 29, 2012, 10:54:07 PM
So it is a siler coin of Silesia, 3 Kreuzer, from 1634.

Obverse has a shield in two parts eagle with expanded wings. also someone/thing wearing a cap. Some words i am not sure about

campus = campvs root wrd the task of daoing.
Teffelatus = I think tesselatvs = ttype of design?

Reverse

The eagle of Silesia and 3 as the denomination on the bottom.

I do not know this series at all and therefore the meanings of the Latin are unsure in the context.

Peter's summary in Reply #1 is a good translation - campus tesselatus is a chequered field.  Those f's aren't f's when you look closely - no full cross-bar.  They're just long s's.

akona20

removed my message. I guess I didn't read Peter's reply close enough. Rather busy night.

translateltd

Quote from: akona20 (zoppo) on March 01, 2012, 01:46:07 AM
removed my message. I guess I didn't read Peter's reply close enough. Rather busy night.

No worries - at least we know what, where (more-or-less) and when.  I just find it odd that there seems to be only a single documentary reference, and from an antiquarian work at that.  Somebody else must have recorded an example in the past 300 years, surely?

Googling "silesia" "3 kreuzer" "1634" brings up coins with a quite different design - this isn't it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTRIA-SILESIA-FERDINAND-II-3-KREUZER-1634-/220891703496

akona20

This was a time of rather great turmoil in Silesia. The 30 year war was in full swing and it was a Protestant area in the wars. From vague memory the ruler changed in that year due to a death but don't bet on my information.

Gerhard Schön

Quote from: translateltd on February 29, 2012, 11:42:29 AMa state of the church, perhaps, i.e. a bishopric or the like?

Silesia was granted freedom of religion by emperor Rudolf II in 1609. During the war, military action by the catholic imperial forces led to unification of the (secular) Evangelical States of Silesia. Under this name, they had emergency money produced in 1621, and also used the imperial mint of Breslau for regular coinage in 1634 and 1635. The special privileges were revoked in the Peace of Prague in 1635.

translateltd

Photos at last - the owner lent this and the coin of Cagliari to me last night to photograph.

Could what I took to be a 3 in the date actually be a 5?

translateltd

Nothing further from the team since I uploaded the photos?

akona20

I rather think it is a 3 because the dates fit.

translateltd

Quote from: akona20 (zoppo) on March 30, 2012, 06:35:16 AM
I rather think it is a 3 because the dates fit.

I've just re-read Gerhard's msg - point taken!