Author Topic: Medal of The People's Eucharistic League  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Medal of The People's Eucharistic League
« on: March 10, 2008, 05:01:14 PM »
Hi

Does anyone have more information on this medal, particularly the year in which it was issued?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Medal of The People's Eucharistic League
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:20:54 AM »
This reaction came from an expert on religious medals and author of a book on the subject: "The medal you picture relates, I would guess, to an American (honor instead of honour) Eucharistic Confraternity. The image of the Host (IHS) in a monstrance being adored by two angels is a very common one – see my article “Symbols of the Eucharist” in NI Bulletin, December 1999 (p.273-280), Figs 5,6,7 and 8."

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 05:29:11 PM »
This reaction came from an expert on religious medals and author of a book on the subject: "The medal you picture relates, I would guess, to an American (honor instead of honour) Eucharistic Confraternity. The image of the Host (IHS) in a monstrance being adored by two angels is a very common one – see my article “Symbols of the Eucharist” in NI Bulletin, December 1999 (p.273-280), Figs 5,6,7 and 8."

Peter
Thanks a lot, Peter. I'll see if I can find that article.

Offline euaio

• Reader
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:55:33 PM »
Hi,
The style of the medal seems early 1900s, may be until the '30s. Looking up 'Guard of honour society' there was a parish of St. James in Bedford Mass. USA. The society might have been a group of those invlauable ladies taking care of things, in this case the altar. The other medal, apart from the text, identical to your's.
This People's Eucharistic League was founded in France in 1856 by a Father Eymard. The movement still exists in a number of countries. Wikisource is a page I found this and there are others.
I hope this will bring you yet a very little bit further. All the best, Euaio.

Here the picture of the medal (same image, different text):

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the info, Euaio. I am, however, unable to view the image you posted.