Mu’izz al-Dīn Mubarak Shah II (AH824-837/1421-1434, two falus coins ,one dated AH 832

Started by capnbirdseye, February 20, 2012, 12:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Can anyone attribute this coin, I can see that it has Dehli mint but no date visible      weight 5.29g    14mm
Vic

Overlord

It's a scarce falus of a rare ruler---Mu'izz al-Dīn Mubarak Shah (AH824-837/1421-1434) (Sayyids), G&G D663.

Edit: Since the year is not visible, the possibility of it being a posthumous issue (D668) (dated 838, 5.2 g) cannot be eliminated either. That coin is rare.

capnbirdseye

That's very interesting overlord,  the coin is amongst others that lost their tickets when my children must have messed around when they were young,

With the info you gave I searched my trays & seem to have found another very similar coin with partial date showing, it's weight is 5.19g, it's ticket reads S.of Dehli,  Mubarak II, AD 1421 -34   dated AH 832 Dehli
Vic

Overlord

This is the first time I have seen one outside of a catalogue and you actually found two specimens. Very impressive.

Ansari

:o  :o  :o  :o

Lucky to have these in your collection. Recently enquired abt these from a dealer and the price was $ 25. Too much for a copper coin.

This will make reading easier.

Left- Dar al-mulk Dehli.

Right- Mubarak Shah Sultan.

capnbirdseye

Thanks for that  Ansari,

I've found another coin ticketed Mubarak Shah II, but I can clearly see the date is  AH 798, this is  AD1395/6?   a date when the Tughluq dynasty came to an end so another incorrect label,
I'll post it here & move it when attributed. Looks like the coin has been deliberately defaced on one side?

weight 8.60g
Vic

Ansari

Quote from: capnbirdseye on February 20, 2012, 05:27:42 PM
Thanks for that  Ansari,

I've found another coin ticketed Mubarak Shah II, but I can clearly see the date is  AH 798, this is  AD1395/6?   a date when the Tughluq dynasty came to an end so another incorrect label,
I'll post it here & move it when attributed. Looks like the coin has been deliberately defaced on one side?

weight 8.60g

Yes, we can clearly see "Mahmud Shah" written on right image.

Mahmud Shah-II, AH 795-815
Left- Nayab amir al-momenin 798.
Right- Mahmud Shah
Margin- Sultan zarbat bi hazrat Dehli.

Ref:Valentine 361

capnbirdseye

Thank you Ansari,  if it was truck after Mahmuds death then in whose reign was it, it all looks rather confusing about that time
Vic

Ansari

Quote from: capnbirdseye on February 20, 2012, 06:41:03 PM
Thank you Ansari,  if it was truck after Mahmuds death then in whose reign was it, it all looks rather confusing about that time

No, its not Posthumous (modified my earlier reply). Tughlaq Dynasty was divided under two Sultans; one in the east at Firozabad & the other in the west at Delhi.
East was into the control of "Sultan Nasir-ud-din Mahmud Shah Tughluq, CE 1394 - 1412/1413"