redwine

Or is it a comet or meteorite??
2.81g
19mm
Same both sides
Coin alignment

Anyone have any more info.  Many thanks ;D

PS I have some spares ;)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

redwine

20c a consommer, which I should have written, means 20 centimes to use.
So it's French or Northern European or possibly French colonial.

chrisild

Here is one ... except that the image (the auction was about two years ago) does not show here. :) Anyway, according to the description, that is a token made by Cartaux (in Paris, I think):
http://coins.delcampe.net/page/item/id,80964904,var,JETON-A-CONSOMMER-Une-comete-Cartaux-30-centimes,language,E.html

As for the orientation of the image, in my personal and non-substantiated opinion, the small star should be at the bottom, by the way ...

Christian

Figleaf

Good try, but ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I would orient it like this.  I have no idea what is correct.
Dale

redwine

;D I'll be there after 6pm!   ;)

And yes I agree about orientation.

PS I've recently acquired a load of French tokens which will be equally difficult to find anything about ::) ???

maxmissy

Hello everybody,
I am a french newcomer on this forum and will add a few words about " A Consommer " tokens :

In France, first slots machines were installed in bars at end of XIX° century and used with small coins. In 1902, when a law forbid use of normal coins, bartenders decided to replace them with small lots or tokens. In the case of tokens, the winner was obliged to  consume them ( " consommer " in french ) immediately, on the spot. That's why they all bear the inscription " A consommer " ( To be consumed ) . Several hundreds ( maybe more )of these tokens exist . Major manufacturers are Bussoz ( Also a manufacturer of slot machines - see the link below ), Katz, Cartaux, etc...Slots machines were definitely forbidden in August 1937.
90 % of these tokens have the same diameter : 18 mm ( to be used in different machines from different manufacturers ! )
The design  has generally nothing to do with the bar in which the machine is installed, but in some cases the name of the bar or its address are written. Sometimes you will find tokens bearing the name of the slot machine ( Bussoz machines : Le tourbillon, La belote, etc...)

http://slotsmachines.canalblog.com/albums/machines_a_sous_anciennes___livre_d_art_/photos/4382793-num_riser038001.html

If I succeed to load a picture, you will see new examples ( Pay a particular attention to n° 4 from the left ....)

africancoins

Four nice tokens.

I have many examples and also a number of the British "to be spent in the house" tokens - some can be seen in this topic....

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,6077.0.html

But I do not have any of those fours pieces (just maybe I have a similar moon face) - all four of those pieces in the image have interesting images.

You say "1902 to 1937" for the French tokens.... good information.  I do not know the period for which the British tokens were used - of course a similar time but I do not know of a change in British law that would have started their use or a change in law that would have ended there use here.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Prosit

Is it a Moon face or a Sun face? (3rd from left)

Dale

Quote from: africancoins on March 04, 2012, 09:41:22 PM
...But I do not have any of those fours pieces (just maybe I have a similar moon face)....
Thanks Mr Paul Baker

africancoins

I would think that it is a sunface...  and the 2nd from left moon face (to each side)...

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

A token from Quebec with a shooting star, seemingly positioned as the designer intended.  :)

Roadrunner reverse?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Prosit

Looks like a magician with robe and hat....what does it say below the magician?
Dale

Quote from: malj1 on March 07, 2012, 12:30:03 PM
A token from Quebec with a shooting star, seemingly positioned as the designer intended.  :)

Roadrunner reverse?

malj1

Quote from: Prosit on March 07, 2012, 01:28:22 PM
Looks like a magician with robe and hat....what does it say below the magician?
Dale

Yes I think you are right  :) the makers name below is LOMBARDO SHERBR.Q. That would be Sherbrooke Quebec.

Curiously the sister village of Sherbrooke is only a couple of miles away from me.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

A few minutes in features a Comet slot machine from the 1930s.
Explains the use of mints as well.

http://pawn-stars.eu/season-1/11-rick-s-big-bet

A very entertaining series  8)