Author Topic: Old covers and postcards from India  (Read 333 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
Old covers and postcards from India
« on: March 07, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
Here are some old covers and postcards from my collection.

Most postcards/letters in my collection are written in Hindi, but the way in which the language is written is often so different from how it is written nowadays.

No inter-character spacing is used in the modern style of writing (but space is given between words, just like English) and a separate 'bar' is used over each word. This example can be seen in the bottom half of the following postcard.

In the following examples, the characters are spaced (almost) evenly and the 'bar' extends over the entire line.

Some examples show a 'double bar' (instead of the usual single bar seen in most) above the sentences.

A few examples also have the bar confined to individual (equispaced) characters!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Old covers and postcards from India
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:57:30 PM »
Awesome collection, Overlord. I have often seen old French post cards, covered with banalities but still popular because they show villages that still exist as they were around 1900. These are of a different class altogether. You rightly stress writing style. However, I suspect they also contain banalities. I wonder who kept them so long and why...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline collectorz

Re: Old covers and postcards from India
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:36:11 AM »
Wow What a wonderful collection I also have some of these but the way you have collected and classified with the writing is very good. I have cards which I want to read but I am not able to identify the language. Wish to get help from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk