Sultans of Dehli, Sher Shah, Paisa of scarce mintless type, S.Goron D919

Started by capnbirdseye, February 14, 2012, 03:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

This one is confusing me somewhat, it has more or less the correct weight & size for a Dam  20.14g    22mm.  it doesn't however have a typical inscription for Mughal copper coins so I'm not sure where it belongs
Vic

saro

Nice discovery I think..it seems that it is a paisa of Sher Shah according to the legend : "fi ahd al amir al hami.." (left scan) and "abu al-muzaffar..Sher..khald Allah.."
I haven't be able to get a reference for it and experts opinions are needed.
it looks like a paisa from Biana mint?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

capnbirdseye

That's very interesting, I had no idea of the coins origins, hopefully some more info can be found when it's viewed some more

Vic
Vic

saro

In fact, this uncommon type of paisa of Sher Shah is well catalogued under n° D919 (S.Goron), it's a mintless type  "Scarce"; the date seems to be off on yours.

capnbirdseye

You found it in the end  thanks saro, just looked through Zeno but couldn't find a similar example,  what part of the flan would the date be? I might be able to glimpse a bit of it which wouldn't show on a photo.
Vic

saro

The date should be at bottom of the right scan (under "khald Allah..", very limit on Goron and completely out of flan of your coin.
(dates 948, 950 and 951 are listed)

capnbirdseye

Vic

saro

I am sorry ! the date is on right picture on Goron's catalogue but on your left scan ! ..
unfortunately off (at bottom),  on your coin.

Rajagopal

Got one...Obverse in much poor condition than Vic's coin but reverse with a date AH 948 (or 949?)..AH 949 is unlisted for this type..Weighs 20.2 grams

capnbirdseye

It does look like 949 although since the original G/G publication & the popularity of Indian coinage no doubt considerable numbers of new types & dates have appeared
Vic

soumen

Here is mine though the date is not visible.

Regards
Soumen
Soumen