Author Topic: Yuan Shi Kai as Emperor - era that lasted mere 83 days  (Read 1324 times)

Offline gxseries

Yuan Shi Kai as Emperor - era that lasted mere 83 days
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
Just obtain a rather unusual coin - a time when Yuan Shi Kai wanted to be the Emperor but as he didn't gather enough support, this era only lasted for a mere 83 days. Pretty neat. More can be read here:

http://ykleungn.tripod.com/h-shuan.htm

http://www.wikicoins.com/First_Year_of_Hung_Shuan_Ten_Cash_Coin

My example seem to be struck on a flawed planchet and the holes were filled with epoxy. Still not a coin that I can replace the next day.

akona20

Re: Yuan Shi Kai as Emperor - era that lasted mere 83 days
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »
History has been somewhat unkind to this person. He supported the westerners in the Boxer Rebellion and his action (or inaction at times) saved many lives and probably a lot more in political terms. On his death China descended into chaos.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:55:13 PM »
I think the holes are not a planchet flaw, but an attempt to "repair" two nail holes that indicated the coin was nailed to something like a door post for good luck.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Chinasmith

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
Hunan was the only provincial mint to make coins for the Hung Hsien (Hong Xian) period (there is also a 10 Cent silver coin), aside from some rare copper coins struck at Kashgar in Sinkiang. The other coins, in silver and gold, were made at the Tientsin Mint, in the north near Peking.
Researcher on coins, paper money and tokens of China.