News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Wine related tokens

Started by redwine, February 08, 2012, 09:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwine

I'll bet you used a sabre!  ;D
My guess, rusty wire = tetanus  :-\
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Afrasi

I took my teeth!  ;D

Another one from Algeria:

( Or did I get this one even from you? )

redwine

Crikey!
There's a picture of what you'd be up against here http://tire-bouchons.blogspot.fr/search/label/BOUTEILLES%20ET%20BOUCHONS

You'd have to have twisted both arms and both legs to have got that from me!
I like it  8)

constanius

Thanks for the link, very interesting.  Red is also the only wine for me :P

Pat

Afrasi

Quote from: redwine on January 29, 2016, 05:53:37 PMYou'd have to have twisted both arms and both legs to have got that from me!
I like it  8)

If it would not be from Africa, it would be yours. But I will search for another one.

malj1

The blog brought to mind the only label I have, that for Dry Sherry. EPNS

The reverse is signed STOKES MELB. a local token and medals maker that is still in business today.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

Quote from: Afrasi on January 29, 2016, 08:18:10 PM
If it would not be from Africa, it would be yours. But I will search for another one.

Understood and Many thanks  ;D 

redwine

Quote from: constanius on January 29, 2016, 06:25:00 PM
Thanks for the link, very interesting.  Red is also the only wine for me :P

A very nice chap writes it.  He's looking into the meaning of some abbreviations for me  :-*
CH.B.F & C.B.F
The INPI have been absolutely useless and keep asking me to contact their premium phone line  ::) :'(

redwine

He's started his investigations.......
http://tire-bouchons.blogspot.fr/search/label/ENIGMA
ENIGMA N° 25 : BOUCHONS ET JETONS DE CHAMPAGNE

malj1

I have but one suggestion, if both C and CH is Charles then the ending F could be Fecit we are then left with B for some Bxxxxx!  >:D

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Afrasi

constanius

Quote from: redwine on January 30, 2016, 11:44:48 AM
A very nice chap writes it.  He's looking into the meaning of some abbreviations for me  :-*
CH.B.F & C.B.F
The INPI have been absolutely useless and keep asking me to contact their premium phone line  ::) :'(

You only needed to ask,  Ch. Benoit Fils ;)

"CHARLES BENOIT, fils, Champagne Wine-grower and Merchant, Delegate of the City of Rheims,
and Member of the Bordeaux Wine Jury, 1882"

The answer was here all along :)   http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=26365.0 

1870 Pall Mall Budget Vol 4
"Champagne is drunk much like beer is in England, and a speculative firm of Rheims has already issued a "Champagne de la Garde Mobile," of which I enclose the label, as you might like to give it a trial. A characteristic thing is that M. Charles Benoit fils, who composed this new beverage, has also composed a label upon which the tricolour standard is united to the Imperial eagle and the Légion d'Honneur"

Ridley & Co.'s Monthly Wine and Spirit Trade Circular, Issue 432, Part 43
May 12, 1884.

THE SCIENCE OF ADVERTISING—BRITISH & FOREIGN—No. 102.

"Exactly a year ago, under this same heading, we had occasion to notice a circular from C. Benoit Fils, of Reims, when we were rash enough to characterize his particular system of advertising as "audacity." Our remarks called forth a somewhat facetious letter from Mr. Benoit, which we published in our June issue, in which the writer set forth the reasons which had induced him to change his style of business, and why he had become sufficiently audacious to attempt to do without an agent on this side, and to sell direct to whomsoever he pleased. Mr. Benoit has now indited a second manifesto to the British Aristocracy, in which he "takes the liberty of recalling himself to their kind remembrance." Needless to add, the pith of this second ebullition of genius is nothing more than the "consumer direct," dished up in a slightly varied form, Mr. Benoit posing on this occasion in the character of a discoverer, having been suddenly struck by the double advantages which the consumer and himself, are to derive from its adoption. With the exception of a rise in the prices of his goods, and the abolition of any particular vintage from his carte of Sparkling Wines, Mr. Benoit appears to advance no new "attraction " beyond that offered a year ago, if at least we except the addition of "1880 Beal Still Sillery at 40s." This class of Wine was, according to our friend, a few years back, in great demand amongst the English Aristocracy, and it is "with a view to keep up the exportation of these excellent Wines in their natural state "that he has decided to put into bottle as a Still Wine a certain quantity of his 1880 Sillery. Such being Mr. Benoit's reason in trying to resuscitate a defunct branch of the trade, we imagine that profit forms no sort of consideration in his " departure," and although as a principle we hold that it is dangerous to allow sentiment to interfere with business, we will not cavil with the enterprising Frenchman in this respect, it having been admitted since the most remote ages that love of country is a virtue above all others to be commended.
So much for Mr. Benoit's circular, which, as we have said, holds forth little or no fresh inducement to patronize his system. It is by no means impossible, however, that this may have struck the writer himself, for we find a postcript has been added, which opens up quite a novel field for the Champagne Shippers, and which runs as follows:—
"P.S.—From the 15th May next, English travellers and tourists who may stop at Reims on their way to "Italy or Switzerland (by the line from London to Bale) will find every Monday and Thursday at the "Grand Hotel, Reims, my carriage or break to drive them round the vineyards, stopping at my cellars to taste "these excellent Champagnes (gratis). A splendid view is obtained from the culminating point of my vineyard "at five kilometres from Beims, showing the Cathedral and City to great advantage."

Whether this hospitable invitation of Mr. Benoit's will have the effect of causing tourists to flock to Beims during the coming Summer, experience alone can prove. We only trust that, if such be the result, and if the lucky tradesmen of that ancient city make immense fortunes through Mr. Benoit's disinterested endeavours, they will see that some mark of honour is conferred upon him in accordance with his merits, and will not be so ungrateful as to allow one who is willing to give so much for the public good to go entirely unrewarded. The advantage of being able to taste Mr. Benoit's Wines gratis, and of being allowed to see the Cathedral from his grounds should certainly do much to raise the popularity of the city in the eyes of tourists. Perhaps next year we shall find that our estimable friend has arranged with Messrs. Cook & Son to bring large parties of excursionists to his establishment and to refresh them on their journey with his Vin de Chasse; possibly also, Barnum's White Elephant, if it has come down to a reasonable price, might be secured as an additional " draw" on behalf of the town of Reims in general, and of the vineyards of Mr. Benoit in particular.
What may be the next method which that gentleman's versatile brain will fix upon to advertise his goods"

Pat

redwine

Crikey Pat!  8)
I am in awe  ;D
Or as I used to say in astins, I am in Ore.
I'm a bit too passed to read your post but I am impressed  ::)

redwine

I'm not sure I can make total sense of that Ridley waffle above and I'm glad I didn't try last night.  ::)
From 1870 Pall Mall Budget Vol 4 -  Charles Benoit came up with a certain style of champagne.
This was then replicated by other sellers?  So if you saw C.B.F you knew what you were getting?