Wine related tokens

Started by redwine, February 08, 2012, 09:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

redwine

OK, I've decided to collect wine and Wales related tokens too!  A token featuring both would be super!!
Any offers?  ;D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Figleaf

I don't know how you would use a token in the wine trade, except for empty bottles, maybe. There are plenty of Welsh tokens around, though, starting with the druid, a nasty person who liked blood offerings and making magical walls with heads or skulls...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

" starting with the druid, a nasty person who liked blood offerings and making magical walls with heads or skulls..."

They still do in Pontypridd ;D

redwine

Quote from: bagerap on February 10, 2012, 07:37:09 AM
" starting with the druid, a nasty person who liked blood offerings and making magical walls with heads or skulls..."

They still do in Pontypridd ;D

Ah, the home of the legendary front row  8)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

redwine

So far, looking around I've found wine merchants, good for a glass of wine and some plain Vin ones - all very interesting 8)

As for Wales, I all ready have a druid.  Now, where's my golden sickel????  :P
And I've spotted some nice farthings................
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Figleaf

Right! I restricted my thinking to wine production. I have a company restaurant token good for a glass of wine somewhere...

But that becomes a "mer à boire"! What we usually call beer tokens could just as well be used for wine. The amount of beer tokens is unimaginably large.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

Quote from: redwine on February 10, 2012, 07:58:34 AM
Ah, the home of the legendary front row  8)

I'm mixing up my Max Boyce.
The true legends are of course Pontypool.   ::) :-[
My rellies will be reeling................
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

redwine

Quote from: Figleaf on February 10, 2012, 11:24:51 AM
Right! I restricted my thinking to wine production. I have a company restaurant token good for a glass of wine somewhere...

But that becomes a "mer à boire"! What we usually call beer tokens could just as well be used for wine. The amount of beer tokens is unimaginably large.

Peter

Good for a glass of wine.
I'd prefer Good for a glass of fine wine. ;) ;D
But, yes please :D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

I believe there are a few wine merchants in the Australian 19th century series of tradesman tokens; this one springs to mind. [although not in very nice condition]
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

Quote from: malj1 on February 10, 2012, 11:39:51 PM
I believe there are a few wine merchants in the Australian 19th century series of tradesman tokens; this one springs to mind. [although not in very nice condition]

I like it, thanks for sharing Malcolm  ;D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

ciscoins

Some producers of vodka in Russia, to increase the demand (which has recently begun to fall), put silver tokens in their bottles. The largest number of these tokens comes from "Standard" vodka.

Here's the online catalog

Also there were several beer tokens. But no wine.

(By the way, the official name of vodka in Russia in XIX century was "table wine #21".)
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

malj1

You can have the one above if you would like it. I think I have a South Africa too, E. K. Green and Company wine merchant Cape Town; must check!

Found this expensive Welsh Wine token here...  [blank reverse]

http://www.rarecoinsandtokens.co.uk/abergavenny-wines-and-spirits-merchant-token-p-671.html

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Prosit

Other than good for a glass of wine, I have seen a few from actual wine makers. I draw a distinction between wine sellers/distributers/merchants and wine makers.  I find the later more interesting although I do not have any duplicates and darn few in my collection at all.

Dale

redwine

Quote from: malj1 on February 11, 2012, 11:09:30 PM
You can have the one above if you would like it. I think I have a South Africa too, E. K. Green and Company wine merchant Cape Town; must check!

Found this expensive Welsh Wine token here...  [blank reverse]

http://www.rarecoinsandtokens.co.uk/abergavenny-wines-and-spirits-merchant-token-p-671.html

Sorry, missed this.
Yes, please!  ;D
And crikey that is expensive but rather lovely :)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

Its yours! I don't have the other - E. K. Green and Company, wine merchant, Cape Town unfortunately.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.