Afghanistan , possible Taïmur Shah Dera mint?

Started by asm, February 08, 2012, 12:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Nothing much seems to be visible on the coin. With the little bit that is seen, can some guess be made on the origins of the coin?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

saro

A suggestion : Afghanistan / paisa of Taïmur Shah from Dera mint (may be written : "Dir A H" ? (1st scan : fraction of Taimur at top and mintname at bottom  ???)
Sorry the date isn't clear... ;D
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

Looks like a great guess and likely the best you'll ever get. Afghan coins are pretty crude and hard to identify.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

as illustration : a copper coin of Taïmur Shah I have with me / Dera mint with a similar design.

Figleaf

My respect, Saro. I can't figure out where the similarities are, but I believe you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Nothing is really clear, I agree...something which seems similar is the word "Durdurani" (in the upper part of the lower scan of asm coin), with the "i" of Durrani as separating line (the 2 dots are legible)

saro

Please, find here a sketch with what could be the legend based on the very few "legible" parts of the coin. (I use conditional !... ???).
Of course it's a tentative on an hopeless attribution and not at all definitive..
To have small credit, the coin should weigh 11-12g, as those (= 4 coins) listed by Whitehead in the Catalogue of Coins in Panjab museum / part III- Durrani Dynasty.
(the one I posted the scan (type not listed in this book) weigh 11,4g / diam 21mm).
If the coin is heavier or larger, please forget all...

Figleaf

You have done it again saro! The drawing convinced me 100% that my trust in you was well placed. An amazing determination, to say the least.

Peter

asm

Fantastic work Saro...... I have no words to thank you........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"