Author Topic: The Chesterfield Memorial Hall  (Read 939 times)

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ยท UK
The Chesterfield Memorial Hall
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
I've been asked to sell some old coins from a family friend, nothing much of value (quite a bit of silver scrap though) and this old token which I've never seen before.  The Chesterfield Memorial Hall, Newhall is quite local to me - in fact a little over 3 miles away - but I never did hear of any local tokens before - is it listed anywhere?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: The Chesterfield Memorial Hall
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:11:54 PM »
Britain is rife with late local tokens, such as hop pickers, pub and market tokens. However, this one is still puzzling. From the excellent link you gave, it seems that the building was meant to be much like today's public libraries, which don't require tokens.

I note from the same web page that the Hall was unable to compete with the George Inn. I wonder if an effort was made to improve its competitive position by selling hot drinks, or even stronger stuff? This would explain something that looks like a pub token. Maybe the local historian (every town has one) knows more.

Whatever the case may be, a very interesting piece.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.