News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Liechtenstein

Started by bart, February 29, 2008, 12:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bart

Here is my small collection of Liechtenstein coins. I bought them as a souvenir when visiting the tiny country some years ago. These 2 were the only ones I could afford.

These coins are minted under the krone-system, as Liechtenstein had a currency union with Austria at that time. In 1921 the country converted to the Swiss franc system, which is still in use today.

Bart

translateltd

Nice - did these coin types actually circulate, or were they intended only as souvenir/presentation pieces?

bart

These coins were struck for circulation, and they actually circulated, as did the francs-series of 1924.
With a total population of 27,000 inhabitants, Liechtenstein didn't need high mintages. Total mintage for the krone is 200,000 (struck in 3 years:1904,1910,1915); for the 2 krone 87,500 (struck in 2 years: 1912 and 1915).
These coins did circulate, but not much, as Liechtenstein allowed also the Austrian coinage to circulate. After 1921 the country switched to a currency union with Switzerland. The country struck a series of 1/2, 1, 2 and 5 francs, which also saw a very limited circulation. Nowadays you can only find Swiss money (coins and currency) in circulation.

Bart

Figleaf

There is an economic theory called the optimum currency area theory. One of the consequences of this theory is that in an area where two currencies can circulate, the currency of the area that is the closest the the optimum currency area (the preferred currency) will tend to dominate the other, unless the public mistrusts the preferred currency. The upshot is that small areas that allow circulation of coins of larger areas will end up striking for presentation purposes or to maintain a right to mint only.

The authors of this theory did not take cheap imitations into account that in past centuries, small lords often imitated the coins of important lords, but with a smaller weight or pureness.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.