News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Ugly Coins

Started by chrisild, January 12, 2012, 11:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillSnyder

"Ugly" reminds me of the 1696 Irish "Ugly Head" halfpenny.

An unusually nice one was just listed by CNG for $1,250. Here's a link (on page 3), if interested.

http://tinyurl.com/7hvr5hs

Bill

Prosit

Ahhh the years go by and we are not what we once were if ever we actually were.
Don't want to be too philosiphical but there is a beauty in everything; we just need to be able to see it
and appreciate it.

Perception...can you control it, or does it control you, can you overcome it, can you see with other eyes, or are we
just the product of our own cutural programing, nothing more  ;)
Dale

Quote from: Afrasi on January 16, 2012, 12:16:18 AM
Who's that guy?

Figleaf

There are even worse in this series, but this one seems ugly enough to contend in this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

What I like about that design is that it is uncluttered, it is a simple design.  Pleasing to me in that aspect. The man while not a beauty is us, just a man, no greater no less but in a position to make decisions that affect society.  Did he use that power for good or evil?
But as a coin, I like it.

Dale

Quote from: Figleaf on January 16, 2012, 01:56:32 AM
There are even worse in this series, but this one seems ugly enough to contend in this thread.

Peter

andyg

I've an idea that the officials at the time would not have known anything about the token - the regal portrait (such as it is) was added by the producer to try to give the token legitimacy....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

The man is George III, who, while not a paragon of male beauty, did not have his eyes on his forehead. This is a token of Lower Canada, Charlton LC-60D3 (var). While dated 1820, they were struck in 1819.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

natko

As of Croatia, it's most definitely this one

Dated 2004, actually issued at the end of 2005, it should be entitled "Beginning of EU entry negotiations", but as they were late, it was entitled "Croatia EU candidate for membership". That's probably reason it was minted in only 30K pieces. Minimalistic but very clumsy design at the glance looks like two squares inside a barb wire. Squares represent Croatia ??? while barb wire is obviously EU Stars. What are those stupid symbols of square and star in the legend anyway?

Among the last 25 kuna piece it's most stupid and useless event they could make it anyway. Not even mentioning we had tons of national events in last 10 years  which all haven't been used, from very round birth/death Anniversaries to cultural and sport events, as well as 20th Anniversary of Independence.

That's like it when the politics mess up with national bank and mint. I wonder why they didn't make 25 kuna of "end of negotiations", but surely we will get one when Croatia enters EU next year. If next Sunday referendum pass, it might even fall, I'm for it myself, but people is quite opposing EU.

Bosnian coins, especially 1 marka issue is awful. My billiards bar got better tokens. Since all national symbols are forbidden by the law, they had no much choice but to copy artificially made flag. Dove saved disaster.

FosseWay

This should feature on anyone's ugly list, I'd have thought:

Prosit

Looks like they should have used more text  :)
Dale

Quote from: FosseWay on January 16, 2012, 04:08:08 PM

villa66

Again I have to say I admire one of the "ugly" coins. I like this British 2003 5-pound piece.

But how about those Swedish krona coins of the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s? Yikes.

:) v.

FosseWay

Quote from: villa66 on January 16, 2012, 05:08:45 PM

But how about those Swedish krona coins of the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s? Yikes.

That time span covers a lot of different coins. Which in particular did you have in mind? I'm not overly keen on the portrait of King Carl Gustaf used on the 1 krona between 1976 and 2000, but otherwise I'd characterise Swedish coins as simple, even bland or boring, but not especially ugly.

villa66

The 1-krona portrait you mention (1976-2000) is one of the two that I really dislike; the other was the portrait on the 1-krona coins of 1952-1973.

SandyGuyUK

Ian
UK

villa66

Quote from: chrisild on January 12, 2012, 11:06:57 AM
Ugliest coin? Ha, I have something for you. No sports involved though.

(Image: Schimmer/ma-shops)

Christian

I bought one of these by accident yesterday as a 50-cent special, and was surprised to see it was a silver coin. (I'd been focused on its devices rather than its denomination, and was lulled into thinking base metal by the image.)

I like the coin, but since my previous defense of this design--and its subject--was banished to the Living Room, I'll leave it at that: I like the coin. Won't be enough to keep it from being "deaccessioned" for its melt value, however.

augsburger

I really like this coin. Compared to other £5 coins it has some style!