Author Topic: How to store Medals?  (Read 8228 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
How to store Medals?
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »
We have many systems to store and display the coins - 2X2 Holders, Coin Trays, Airtights, Slabbing and so on.

But does anyone has any idea as to how to store and display the Medals - particularly Medal with ribbons?

I am thinking of storing the medals in this 6 Pocket medal sleeves.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: How to store Medals?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
I have only seen them lying on their own ribbon in the drawers of a coin cabinet.

While the album pages you show look OK, they may give you a gravity problem. If you store them upright, the ribbons may tend to get folded and wrinkled if space permits and the pages may be dragged down by the weight of the medals, deforming the holes and creating even more space for the medals and ribbons to budge.

Also, I have no idea of the quality of the plastic. The pages you show are for stamp booklets, which are a lot lighter than medals. No idea either if softener in plastic is as bad for stamps as it is for coins. If it isn't, the pages may contain softener.

Lastly, I am wondering where you would put your identification and notes. Bare metal reacts badly to paper, so you can't keep them in with the medal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:07:30 AM »
The most of the collectors keep them for display in craft box or jewellery box and albums.
Here are some accessories such as  ribbon mounts & presentation cases.

It depends upon storage space and how some one want to display.

Some of photos showing display of medals to get idea.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 02:08:22 AM »
image2

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 02:08:50 AM »
image 3

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:09:21 AM »
image 4

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:09:51 AM »
last image 5

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 02:44:58 AM »
@aan09
Much better and better looking storage than I have.  I put them in a box layered between felt.
Dale

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
I have only seen them lying on their own ribbon in the drawers of a coin cabinet.

While the album pages you show look OK, they may give you a gravity problem. If you store them upright, the ribbons may tend to get folded and wrinkled if space permits and the pages may be dragged down by the weight of the medals, deforming the holes and creating even more space for the medals and ribbons to budge.

Also, I have no idea of the quality of the plastic. The pages you show are for stamp booklets, which are a lot lighter than medals. No idea either if softener in plastic is as bad for stamps as it is for coins. If it isn't, the pages may contain softener.

Lastly, I am wondering where you would put your identification and notes. Bare metal reacts badly to paper, so you can't keep them in with the medal.

Peter

I did some experimenting, and found a perfect solution. :) :)

I have cut Transparent sheets used for Overhead Projector, into the size of a pocket (140 X 68 mm). Then I have stapled each medal onto these Transparent sheet, and then put this medal into the pocket.

This has solved the problem of folding of the ribbons, and moreover, it has imparted a stiffness to the whole sleeve.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
I see a small concern: Staple pins tend to rust and can leave ugly marks on the ribbon. Is there any alternative for that potential problem? Maybe a small clip outside the plastic packet? 

Also, I highly suggest that the plastic sheets you use are not PVC, or anything compound with chlorine. Over many years, green ooze leaches out of the plastic and leaves a residue on the coin/medal. Have suffered personally  :'(  Some say that transparencies, made of cellulose acetate, degrade over time and release acetic acid (vinegar!) which can damage coins (http://www.calgarynumismaticsociety.org/caring.html). [I also think transparencies may contain some trace amounts of sulfur, left over from the manufacturing process. Sulfur blackens silver.]

Safe options are mylar (polyethylene terephthalate or PET), polypropylene, etc. Makes sense to provide the best for your beautiful collection!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:05:57 PM by cmerc »
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
Staples!!!!! :o OMG!  That will leave holes in the ribbon and it will definitely damage it in the long run.  Ribbons are not that sturdy when it comes to holes. It will tear eventually and it tears in a horrible way.  That is like using scotch tape to mend palm leaf manuscripts or using superglue to mend the beard on Tutankhamun's death mask.  All of these methods have damaging effects on the article in the long run...

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins