Author Topic: Spain 2014: Antoni Gaudí  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Spain 2014: Antoni Gaudí
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:05:12 AM »
The theme for next year's €2 commemorative from Spain is Antoni Gaudí. It's next in the series of UNESCO's world heritage sites in Spain.

From wikipedia:

Gaudí's work enjoys widespread international appeal and many studies are devoted to understanding his architecture. Today, his work finds admirers among architects and the general public alike. His masterpiece, the still-uncompleted Sagrada Família, is one of the most visited monuments in Catalonia. Between 1984 and 2005, seven of his works were declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. Gaudí's Roman Catholic faith intensified during his life and religious images permeate his work. This earned him the nickname "God's Architect" and led to calls for his beatification.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Spain 2014: Antoni Gaudí
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »
In all fairness, the coin is about the park Guëll, not about Gaudí, its creator. The series is on buildings. Gaudí created a large number of them and several could claim a place in the series.

What I find remarkable about Gaudí's mosaic animals is how people are moved to approach, grin, touch and stroke them. As far as I know, only the work of Botero achieves a similar effect. The gland is on top of the houses at the entrance looking like they were made of biscuit. Gaudí was keen on using natural shapes in unexpected ways. Google pictures on Park Guëll and you will easily find both subjects of the coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »
Must admit that I am a little disappointed too. The dragon/lizard is quite colorful in "real life" - not that I would like the coin to be painted ;) but there would have been other options ...

(Entrance House)

(The "Dragon")

Yes, the design of the coin focuses on Park Güell - but what is the actual theme? The Gaudí sites that became part of the World Heritage 30 years ago. Apart from said park, that is also Casa Milà (La Pedrera) and the Palau Güell. It makes sense to not have those monuments on the coins that have "only" been Unesco sites since 2005 (such as the Sagrada Família), but why two Park Güell elements?

Christian
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:32:36 PM by Figleaf »

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:11:53 PM »
I guess when you see the coin as a coin, and not just an image, it might be better or worse than you expect.

Offline kwcoin

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
Looks sort of ugly to me. All previous 2 €  Spanish commemoratives are quite attractive until this. However, this won't stop me from getting one for my collection.  Lets hope the coin looks better in person.  :-\

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
Gaudí takes some getting used to. Also, the Park is very hard to catch on a coin, since Gaudí is about colours and details, while coins are small and mono-colour. I guess the dragon/lizzard is de rigueur. I couldn't come up with something better. Could you?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline kwcoin

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
Ahhh I see says the blind man.  :D Now that I see the park and the lizard I will probably see the coin in a different light. Yes I suppose it would be difficult to get that motif and relief on a coin. I've never been to the park so dont't I know if I could have come up with anything better. Probably not.  After my enlightment this design doesn't seem too bad.   

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
I couldn't come up with something better. Could you?

In terms of an idea or concept: yes. Just don't ask me for a design. :D  Since the three sites that became World Heritage 30 years ago are the Park Güell, Casa Milà and Palau Güell, I would have tried to combine elements of all three. Maybe the dragon, a palace entrance arch, and one of those "guardian" chimneys. Yes, I know that, due to the design restrictions, the artist has only the pill of a relatively small coin, but it should have been doable ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
Look at the previous "monuments" series. They are all about one building, not one artist…

My solution would have been to take the dragon from the side and horizontally, so part could have been outside the coin and fill the space below with one of the medallions in the park. I realise that's very close to the official design, though.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »
Look at the previous "monuments" series. They are all about one building, not one artist…

From what I learned about this series, it is about the World Cultural Heritage sites in Spain, and the coins were and will be issued in chronological order. OK, we are still in the first year :) as sometimes several sites get added at the same time. What have we had so far?

* the Historic Center of Córdoba
* the Alhambra with the Generalife and the Albayzín in Granada
* the cathedral in Burgos
* El Escorial (Real Sitio de ...)

Contrary to those four, the fifth site actually has the name of an architect - it is listed as "Works by Antoni Gaudí". Since the coins follow a timeline, it makes sense to consider the three works enlisted in 1984, not the ones added in 2005.

Of course such a coin cannot encompass an entire site. But in my opinion there is a difference between picking a detail from one ensemble (say, the Patio de los Leones "representing Granada") and picking one place out of three scattered around. Your medallion suggestion looks attractive too, but again, it leaves out the other two sites. Ah, I will get that coin just as I got the previous issues. ;)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Spain 2014: Antoni Gaudí
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
Note that Spain also issued three €10 and one €50 silver collector coins in proof only in 2002 commemorating Antoni Gaudí's 150th Birth Anniversary:

Parque Güell (€10)
Casa Milà (€10)
El Capricho (€10)
Sagrada Familia (€50)

(Images on request ;))

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
Let me help you out. ;) The mint still lists those issues, but as they are surcharged collector coins, they are sort of OT here ...

http://www.fnmt.es/coleccionista/anos-anteriores/emisiones-2002/ano-internacional-gaudi-2002
http://www.fnmt.es/coleccionista/anos-anteriores/emisiones-2010/programa-europa-antoni-gaudi

(The images of the 2002 pieces can be clicked but not really enlarged. You may want to look at the brochure - see the "Dossier especial sobre la colección" link - instead.)

Christian

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
If you click the "Welcome" link at the top right corner you get the English versions :
http://www.fnmt.es/en/coleccionista/anos-anteriores/emisiones-2002/ano-internacional-gaudi-2002
http://www.fnmt.es/en/coleccionista/anos-anteriores/emisiones-2010/programa-europa-antoni-gaudi

I would say that in general the UNESCO's world heritage sites serie is not bad. They should put a bigger effort on those proof collector ones.

Ah, I will get that coin just as I got the previous issues. ;)

Indeed.  ;)