Author Topic: Newspaper Token  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Newspaper Token
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
This piece was not made for advertising. It was given to you as small change buying the mentioned newspaper. Using this token you could buy the next issue the following day for "free".

Little quiz (no prize :'():

In which country was this piece in use?  ;D

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Newspaper Token
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:11:35 PM »
We had a News Day newspaper in Melbourne Australia some years ago but it did not survive for very long.

I have a copy of Number one.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
The material and the capitalization in the middle of the word say it's more modern. Here is my candidate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:32:22 PM »
Dagblad van Noord-Brabant (en Zeeland) saw fit to advertise that in 1931, it boasted a paid circulation of 32 000. They argue on the other side that the larger the circulation, the lower the price for ads is. Maybe. In the centre are some population centres in the South-West of the Netherlands.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:40:18 PM »
A local newspaper operating in the South-East of the Netherlands, Limburger Koerier, seems to have found the idea of a metallic ad attractive. It issued an advertising medal of the same size (about the size of a silver 1 gulden) and metal (aluminium). It is also dated 1931, but the circulation figure is significantly higher, at 50 000. Yet, they promote small ads for 60 cents. I think this was the smarter strategy. Anyone may feel like placing a small ad but large ads are sold to companies, a much smaller target for a token that seems best suited for liberal distribution.

The above token came from a dealer. The token below was a gift from a metal detector pilot.

Peter

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
See also this thread. Weekly Telegraph £100 token
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:24:10 PM by malj1 »
Malcolm

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:05:22 AM »
Figleaf got it right. The first shown plastic token is from Zimbabwe.

Since 2008/2009 there was a hyperinflation ending in abolishement of the Zim$ in April 2009. since then is the US$ main currency accompagnied by the coinage of the RSA and Botswana. As there were no US coins and not enough coins from RSA and Botswana there was a serious lack of change for small amounts.

Since 2009 there are again independant newspapers like the NewsDay in Harare. One exemple of this newspaper costs 0.5 US$ or 5 ZAR - cheaper then most others costing 1 US$. The street sellers were usually not able to give the change. So this token (called "Cupon") was invented to enable the street sellers to give change. With this token you could get it the next day free.

This token was in use at Bulawayo in May 2011. There exist some similar other tokens - all from Newsday.

Most informations come from Münz-Goofy (MG).

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:13:52 AM »
The Regiment Weekly. 1d Subtitled "An illustrated military journal for everybody"
 Silver and a tiny 11.5mm.
A magazine about the army which was aimed at the general public. c1896 - 1917

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:22:44 PM by malj1 »
Malcolm