Author Topic: December competition 2011!  (Read 5595 times)

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
Re: December competition 2011!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »
This year I had just four entries with all 10 answers (izotz, Afrasi, bart and ciscoins)
So I will increase the prizes to four.

Next year I think I will change the rules, rather than the first person to send in 10 correct guesses winning I think maybe the winners will be anyone with 10 correct guesses picked at random.

In addition everyone who entered this year will also get two of the latest olympic 50p (if they want them), so to everyone who didn't send any answers in perhaps it might have been worthwhile? :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:27:39 PM by andyg »
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
answers -

1 - West African States 100 francs 1967-2003
2 - Oman 100 baisa 1984
3 - Chile 100 pesos 1981-2000
4 - Indonesia 100 rupiah 1999-2004
5 - Suriname 100 cents 1987-2004
6 - Ghana 100 cedis 1991-1998
7 - Romania 100 lei 1991-2005
8 - Eritrea 100 cents 1997
9 - Armenia 100 dram 2003
10 - Tanzania 100 shilingi 1993-1994

And the hidden message?
WoC Is Great ;D
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »
Thanks andyg! Sorry so few people participated, but I am sure many tried their hand at some time. I certainly did, completely missing the Surinam coin, which is obvious to me now. Another message from the quiz is: it is worthwhile to look at the coins of other countries.

While you have been doing the quiz a number of times now, it should not be taken for granted. It was obviously set up carefully and completely at your cost, so appreciation is in order. May the end-of-the-year quiz lead a blessed life.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »
Three cheers for Andyg!  I had a great desire to participate in this but I am just too dumb. :-[
No surprises there.
Dale

Thanks andyg! Sorry so few people participated, but I am sure many tried their hand at some time. I certainly did, completely missing the Surinam coin, which is obvious to me now. Another message from the quiz is: it is worthwhile to look at the coins of other countries.

While you have been doing the quiz a number of times now, it should not be taken for granted. It was obviously set up carefully and completely at your cost, so appreciation is in order. May the end-of-the-year quiz lead a blessed life.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »
I certainly did, completely missing the Surinam coin, which is obvious to me now.

Ha, you could have asked me - that was actually the only coin that I recognized. (Sent nirmalkumar a PM about it, and also about my guess that "100" could be the common theme.) But apart from that, no clue, and not much time for "research" this year. So if one finds one and only one, how much sense does it make to submit that? ::) Anyway, congratulations to the winners! And kudos to Andy too - the competition "puzzle" is great, in terms of concept and design. But, as Dale just wrote ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
December competition 2011!
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »
I hardly got any time to think over it but I could only recognize Armenia 100 Dram. >:( Should have guessed Suriname too but I couldn't. Rest 8 were way above my head!

Kudos to Andy for yet another excellent competition! :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 03:52:10 PM »
I was pretty sure I could figure out 5 7 and 4 if I went to the catalog and did a lot of searching as they seemed familiar to me.
As it turned out I would have been totally wrong on 7 and in the general neighborhood for 4 and 5.

Dale

paisepagal

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 04:57:43 PM »
I was super interested to try myhand convinced if I got even 6 right I'd win something ;D
Of course I didn't count on 4 people getting all 10. !

I am not sure how long the game was opened for ... I only noticed it last week and unfortunately it slipped my mind... However I'm inspired enough to start my own competition... So surely I didn't take this for granted though I didn't participate

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »
Christian tried to help me, appreciate it... but nothing came to mind until the answerds got revealed..... Great work Andy

Ha, you could have asked me - that was actually the only coin that I recognized. (Sent nirmalkumar a PM about it, and also about my guess that "100" could be the common theme.) But apart from that, no clue, and not much time for "research" this year. So if one finds one and only one, how much sense does it make to submit that? ::) Anyway, congratulations to the winners! And kudos to Andy too - the competition "puzzle" is great, in terms of concept and design. But, as Dale just wrote ...

Christian
Thx
Nomadbird

Offline kena

• UK-Yank
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
I did not have a clue as to what any of them where.  Guess that shows that I am truly only a collector of US and modern UK coins.

Congrats to the four who got all of them right.

Ken

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »
And the hidden message?
WoC Is Great ;D

So you are, Andyg. Great job, and very generous with your coins and your time.

At first sight, I guessed very few of them. Then, I had some research on catalogs and some thematic collections threads in WoC. At certain time, I got the common theme and the hidden message, so more research had to be done.

Now I got them all!  :D

That strange "owl" puzzled me hard  ;D

The "owl" (Indonesian cockatoo) was another puzzle for me, which mislead to the owls on coins thread. The Romanian one was the last one for me, as I got confused with another Russian coin.

Thank you very much again for this funny game. It is really worth trying.