Coins of Raja Raja Chola

Started by Overlord, February 11, 2008, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RG

Here's my Rajaraja Chola copper Kahavanu coin...Enjoy...weight -  4.63 grams...find spot in Kerala, India..

Figleaf

Very well preserved. That's one of the joys of these coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

RG

Can you please help me fix this coin up? Weight is only 3.23 grams, maximum diameter 18.5 mm approx.

Gusev

Quote from: rameshgshenoy78 on September 11, 2016, 03:09:48 PM
Can you please help me fix this coin up? Weight is only 3.23 grams, maximum diameter 18.5 mm approx.
See Reply #75 on: July 02, 2016
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

RG

Quote from: Gusev on September 11, 2016, 03:41:11 PM

Sir that one is my own coin. I wanted to know whether the weight /diameter etc are indicating this is a coin of Raja Raja Chola. The motifs are also different.

RG

Quote from: Gusev on September 11, 2016, 03:41:11 PM

A more nearer specimen shown in  Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012. But I am not sure about the attributes of that coin matching with mine and seeking confirmation.

Gusev

Quote from: rameshgshenoy78 on September 11, 2016, 04:03:06 PM
Sir that one is my own coin. I wanted to know whether the weight /diameter etc are indicating this is a coin of Raja Raja Chola. The motifs are also different.
Weight in the range of 3-4.5 g.
These coins have a lot of varieties.

Igor
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

drnsreedhar

Here is another variety coin of Rajaraja chola.
On this , there is an impression of a human foot to the right of the standing figure (usually conch. RG has posted a similar coin on this page and Q.G has posted another before!).  This is called "paadam" type  in Southern parts and is scarce to get.  On the other side there is a surprise. The legend "rajaraja" is written below the arm of the seated figure, but the script has some difference. The first "raja" is just the same but "ra" looks to have an additional vertical stroke. The second "raa" shows an additional vertical stroke very clearly and as though there is a "ra" in incuse, but without horizontal line in incuse. The "ja" is either incomplete due to smaller flan or might have been struck as the "ja" of Brahmi because it resembles the capital "E" of English alphabet. It may be remembered that he invaded north where the influence of Brahmi and Nagari script can be seen even during the Vijayanagar period. This could have been struck during one of his expeditions at some other mint.
Dr.Sreedhar

THCoins

The Bigfoot variety is already something special. Sharp eye catching the calligraphical variety !

drnsreedhar

Thanks Anthony.
This coin came from Tamilnadu region, from Nagercoil to be precise. One of the collectors in Trivandrum has more than ten of the big foot variety coins but calligraphy is conventional. This is the only one big foot var. with me, but it sure was a surprise. So I thought I would share it. Thanks a lot.
Dr.Sreedhar

THCoins

I did consider one alternative reading, though looking again i think it is unlikely.
Instead of "Sri / RaJa / RaJa", one might also interpret this as "Sri / RaJa / NaKa". Implying an issue in the name of a vassal of Raja Raja.
But as stated, that's just a wild guess.

drnsreedhar

Quote from: RG on September 11, 2016, 04:03:06 PM
There is a very relevant question raised and thanks for raising it. Dr.Joseph has posted two specimens in Reply #68 on: August 21, 2015. It is very interesting to note that Rajaraja copper Kasu of the so called "Ceylon man" type maintain very consistent weight standard. The two specimens Dr.Joseph has shown are typical examples of them. One series of around 4.2 gms and the other of around 3.8gms. There are lots of die varieties also, but maintaining weight standard!  Another feature I have noticed is that the 4.2 gms variety usually are thicker at the middle and thinner near the brim. The other variety is more often a flat disc. Diameter will be ~19-20mm for the 4.2gms variety and remain same or slightly lesser for the other type. But there are coins weighing around 3.4gms. I have one with 2.9 gms and 15.6mm diameter. But still a majority of them stick to 4.2 or 3.8gms weight! You will notice that the body of the "standing man" is also struck somewhat in a different style!

Dr.Sreedhar

Figleaf

Noting this observation on weights. Coins can be devalued by tinkering with weight or with metal (content). This type went from gold to silver to base metal. However, once it is in base metal, it can only be devalued further by weight.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Spaniard

Anyone seen anything like this before? I haven´t !...

Thought it was just a common Raja Raja coin (1st coin) and went to check its ref number in Mitchener to sell on..Its not there! So like you do I started searching and can´t find any reference to the reverse cyphers(spheres)(2nd coin)...Normally all his coins have 4 cyphers (filled , hollow etc), but this has TWO with 4 lines above? and holding something different in the hand...Any ideas would be really appreciated...Thanks in advance Paul

Figleaf

There's something stuck in the mind on how some of these were struck on what is now Sri Lanka and most were struck on the Indian peninsula and the two are different in the number of balls or whatever they may be in that area.

Peter