Author Topic: Coins of Raja Raja Chola  (Read 49762 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Re: Coins of Raja Raja Chola
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
Unidentified Chola/Pandya Coin:

Here is a small (1cm) Chola-like coin.  I haven't been able to find an attribution for it..Nor was I able to decipher the script in the back (looks like Tamil, but not sure).  The coin is very thin as well...Any help is  much appreciated..

Thanks,

Ram

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:01:43 PM by Quant.Geek »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 12:07:36 AM »
Dear Ram,
This is an issue of the Raja of Kandy (present Sri Lanka) and is a 1/8 massa of Raja Parakrama Bahu I (1153-1186AD). The script is Nagari. For a similar piece see ZENO #30706.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 12:59:20 AM »
Thanks Oesho,

Seems scarce..At first I thought it was Jatavarma Sundara Pandyan III coin, but the script was off (I can read Tamil).  The reference coin and my coin match perfectly (other than the corrosion in my coin)...

Cheers,

Ram

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 01:11:24 AM »
I think your coin passed a considerable time in salty water. It could be restored only with considerable risk, so it is probably best to leave it as it is.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 03:17:49 AM »
Hi Peter,

I suspect the same as well.  I am going to leave it alone.  It has a certain appeal just the way it is, besides it is a very scarce coin  :)
Here is the actual coin that I got mixed up with.  A little bigger than the 1/8 Massa (12mm vs. 10mm):

Jatavarman Sundara Pandyan III (1303-1314)

MCSI-399

Obv: Tamil - Sundra Pandian
Rev: Standard Chola design (standing figure)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 03:18:22 AM »
Sangam Chola (3rd Century)

MCSI-119/120/121/122

Obv: Elephant standing left; standard in front; small symbol + umbrella above
Rev: Tiger left; standard in front, with pennant

Due to its age and rarity, it is quite difficult to get quality Sangam age coins.  And when you are NOT in India, it makes it even worse...

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 03:29:47 AM »
The ubiquitous Raja Raja himself.  I have so many of these it is ridiculous.  From dumpy versions all the way to ones that are in an awesome state of preservation...I haven't had the time to classify them as there are several slight variations in these...These coins were continued to be minted even after the reign of Raja Raja and hence was used in several places within the Chola kingdom, including its conquered domains of Pandya and parts of Chera...

MCSI-338/339/340/341/342/343:

Obv: King half seated, with raised arm on right; Devanagari legend beneath raised arm - Sri / Raja / Raja
Rev: Standing man, with lamp on left and group of pellets on right

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
Great show, QG. Yes, the later ones are far more common. They are just as interesting for me.

I seem to remember that there was an easy trick to separate those made on the mainland from those made in Sr Lanka but I forgot what it was. Memory (HAH!) says it was an element in the upper right of the coin.

Peter

Edit: just found the answer. It is in reply 5 of this very thread (duh).
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 01:31:52 PM »
Dear Peter, your memory is till very good. The main land issues have crescent above the 4 balls or dots on the side of the standing king. The coins of Raja Raja Chola struck at Ceylon (present Sri Lanka) have another ball or dot at that location. Only gold or base gold issues are known of this type.
The copper coins of Raja Raja Chola all show a crescent and were struck in India (Tanjore). Despite their incredably large quantity of this coin still found, I have not come across any copper coin of Raja Raja Chola with a dot instead of the crescent. This would indicate that none were struck at Sri Lanka.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 02:25:09 PM »
Here's one I found in my cabinet,  ancient ticket says  Cholas of Tanjore 13 century,  which way up for the rev?

weight 2g
Vic

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »
Never seen that design on the reverse before...No matter how I rotate the reverse, I can't tell what it is.  I don't think it is Chola.  It might be Pandyan instead...
The obverse seems to be way too corrupt for it to be Chola. 

Ram

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »
Never seen that design on the reverse before...No matter how I rotate the reverse, I can't tell what it is.  I don't think it is Chola.  It might be Pandyan instead...
The obverse seems to be way too corrupt for it to be Chola. 

Ram

here is it's old ticket if anyone can make sense of  it
Vic

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
The attribution on the coin is Raja Raja II - (1146-1173) 1/4 Kasu.  However, I want to get it verified as MCSI doesn't go that far for Chola coinage...

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
My last coin(s) in the Chola collection.  Again, no attribution for this one either..

The left is genuine as it matches several other known examples and it also came from a very reputable source.  However, the one on the right looks to be fake.  The right coin can never really wear to the level of the coin on the left.  Notice the legs of the bull and how the hind legs do not connect with the body on the left coin as compared to the right coin.  Can someone confirm whether it is fake or not?  The next thread will be the Pandyas...

Thanks,

Ram

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 09:20:22 PM »
Quite scarce coin of Raja Raja kasu with foot of Vishnu.  This was a special issue to commemorate his conquest of some of the Chera territory.  I have looked far and wide for this coin, but never could find it.  It might even be extremely rare...

MCSI-344

Obv: King half seated, with raised arm on right; Devanagri legend beneath raised arm; Sri / Raja / Raja
Rev: Standing man, with lamp on left and footprint of Vishnu on right
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:36:54 PM by Quant.Geek »