Author Topic: Victorian half penny 1897 countermarked M.J.B.  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Berani

• Plantation tokens from all over the world
Victorian half penny 1897 countermarked M.J.B.
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »
Hello Everybody,

I did found an old Victorian half penny 1897 with the letters M.J.B.
Does somebody know the meaning of this letters?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Victorian half penny 1897 countermarked M.J.B.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:14:11 AM »
In view of the late date of the host coin, I woud tend to take this for a love token. That means that there is very little chance of inding out what the initials stand for.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Berani

• Plantation tokens from all over the world
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:33:47 AM »
In view of the late date of the host coin, I woud tend to take this for a love token. That means that there is very little chance of inding out what the initials stand for.

Peter

Hi Peter,

What's the definition of a love token. Does it means you put the initials of youre lover on the coin, or youre own? How does it work?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
It can be either party, but I suspect the majority was for the male. Love tokens were popular among soldiers' sweethearts. The army permitted only a handful of wives to come with the troop, so the rest was off to a posting in a faraway colony for years, at a time when television and youtube had not yet been invented and whores were cheap, plentiful and infected. :(

The love token served as a memory of the young woman left behind, waiting patiently (sometimes) for the return of her soldier. Contrary to shop and advertising tokens, love tokens were usually made as anonymous as possible, maybe to avoid that the soldier's comrades could tease him with his romantic feelings.

Many love tokens were engraved, but some were punched, like your piece. Probably a function of what tools are at hand and the artistic ability of whoever changed the coin into a love token.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.