Bogus Half Annas: East India Company 'Gems' on Ebay India

Started by Overlord, February 09, 2008, 04:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Get yourself an account on eBay India and complain, Overlord. You have a great id of what they are and what they're really worth. The use of "rare" and "coin" is misleading, even by eBay's lax standards.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

Quote from: Figleaf on February 16, 2008, 03:30:54 PM
Get yourself an account on eBay India and complain, Overlord. You have a great id of what they are and what they're really worth. The use of "rare" and "coin" is misleading, even by eBay's lax standards.

Peter

Peter, sending a message to the bidders with a link to this thread seems a better solution to me. (I should have done that earlier, but I think the earlier listings were private, i.e., the IDs of the bidders were not disclosed.) With all due respect, I don't think eBay will do ANYTHING except sending me a really polite e-mail saying they will investigate the matter. Going by my experience with these things on other forums, I'll be a grand old man by the time their investigation ends!

Overlord

Oops, won't work. Even these are private listings! I think I'll just contact eBay and see what happens.

Rangnath

Yes sir, Mr Richie, these are very ancient coins. I dug them up myself. That will be INR 15 each plus INR 500 postage and packing and INR 515 tax 

Only INR 15 EACH!!!!!! plus some small insignificant fees?  WOW!!!!

Enjoy the world of coins. See you in two weeks or if I find an internet cafe in the Mayan Jungle,

Richie

Rangnath

Ah, Overlord.. how wonderful to live in a fantasy and dwell in such bliss!
If I could only believe,
if I could only put my trust in the dealer,
if I had massive amounts of wealth and INR 8,000,000 meant but a few cents,
I would buy those coins,
and enjoy them.
No doubt I would make the dealer happy too! 
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on March 01, 2008, 06:36:01 AM
if I had massive amounts of wealth and INR 8,000,000 meant but a few cents,
I would buy those coins,
and enjoy them.
No doubt I would make the dealer happy too! 
richie
Richie, you are so generous that I truly wish you had all the money in the world..........
.............and I were a coin dealer  ;D

humpybong

Hey that is only AUD212,000.00......I will just check my bank account.....

Hmmmmmm.....no good....AUD211,990.00 short......maybe next time

;D
Barry

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Rangnath

Well, gentlemen. 
I've just added Overlord and Humpybong to my short list of major recepients when I become a billionaire.

And that's EUROS, not dollars.  I don't want to take unnecessary chances.

richie

Rangnath

Why do you laugh Overlord?
The coin might well have been found within the Harappan region!  And, like most Roman coins, it is round and made of metal. Certainly, if you were to walk in the Harappan region (Lahore, Pakistan say) and look for coins on the street, it would be a rare day indeed that you would find this sultanate coin! And if the dealer says that according to him they are very less in this whole world, I believe him. 
For example, I have the habit of picking up coins that I find on the streets of Portland, Oregon, USA.  Once I found a Chuckie Cheese Token, once a 1 pesso from Mexico and once a Euro.  Today I found four 10 cent coins from the USA.  But NEVER have I found a coin from the Harappan region! THAT would be a rare day indeed.
Perhaps this dealer is an Enchanter or a warlock or a magician. Why should I doubt him when he says
U WILL BE THE LUCKIEST PERSON IF U WILL BE THE WINNER BIDDER. 
So, when the price goes down to a more reasonable amount of say Rs 200000, I'm in.  I wouldn't think of cheating him in order to gain his blessings.  And to become the luckiest man in the world, or even in the Harappan region, just by buying that coin, WOW. 
So don't just laugh Overlord, or you'll never be a winner bidder.
richie

Overlord

This one actually managed to sell

I wonder if I could pass off my broken door handle as a Taxila bent bar

Rangnath

Overlord, do you have proof of purchase for the door handle? You wouldn't mind posting it would you?  Mine was stolen and I've been trying to recover it; I suspect it was sold on ebay due to its close resemblance to a Taxilla bent bar. 
richie

Overlord

Richie, I am sorry to hear about your loss. If you could send me the matching door handle you posted here, I would be happy to compare it closely to the one I have and send both of them back to you should it happen to be yours