Author Topic: John Banner, Attercliffe, Sheffield  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
John Banner, Attercliffe, Sheffield
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »
Loot from a recent visit to the Charing Cross coin market. A brass, scalloped penny token. The reverse seems (machine?) engraved, rather than counterstamped.

The department store of John Banner in Sheffield is mentioned in Wikipedia as a shuttered remnant from what was once a thriving neighbourhood and now a part of Sheffield that could use some gentrification.

I have no idea of what a posh department store would need a penny token for. Discount coupon?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: John Banner, Attercliffe, Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:02:31 AM »
I found a small snippet on these...

.....They used to have some kind of a cheque system of their own with banners tokens but don't remember how it worked.
You used to get a Banners cheque for 20 & pay back 21 but when you went into Banners to spend it, any change you got was in their own money so you had to spend it all in their shop.Good eh.

Many of these larger department stores had discount checks that worked in a similar fashion to the co-op society dividend checks.

Paul may be able to give more information from the Sheffield angle.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:08:04 AM »
This must be a listed building - that will be why the name is still on the fascia in several places. It is a long time since it was a dept store. The "JB" is always stamped on the - stamped seemingly as I have sometimes seen weakneed to the stamping as you would not get with engraving. There are about 5 denominations (halfpenny to shilling) maybe more and the Penny is the easiest to find. There were other big shops in the area with there own tokens but those tokens are difficult to find.

So why have tokens in such a shop.... well what if the someone had been given a voucher (say at some stage 50 to 70 years ago - around the time of rationing etc..) to spend money in the big shop - if the full amount was not going to be all spent up in one visit then the shop's tokens could be given in change to ensure that the rest of the amount was spent in store and nowhere else.

(I see malj1 has just posted... no need to change my post)... add our posts together to get the best answer.....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:21:23 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen. Nice teamwork.

The other side is not affected by the JB logo, which I would have expected from a counterstamp. However, the design is too regular to have been done by hand. Could the weakness be wear?

The building does look like it is worth preserving. I am reminded of another sinking palace, Whiteleys in Bayswater. A grand piece of architecture, half filled with shops fighting for their life in an area that has seen better times.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 09:30:54 AM »
I have four of the 1d with a variety in copper and with two varieties in the style of the 1 in 1d.

The reverse are shown together to show the stamping of the JB in oblong with one appearing to be weakly struck and possibly without the oblong border.

The different 1 variety is the one that is weakly struck; other variations in this token are noted too.

I wonder could this be a forgery? and thus the JB stamps were used to revalidate the tokens at some time ???

Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »
I found a small snippet on these...

.....They used to have some kind of a cheque system of their own with banners tokens but don't remember how it worked.
You used to get a Banners cheque for 20 & pay back 21 but when you went into Banners to spend it, any change you got was in their own money so you had to spend it all in their shop.Good eh.

See this page for a description of the credit system employed; no doubt Banners used the same one.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:50:31 AM by malj1 »
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 04:26:39 AM »
At last I have another value, this time an octagonal brass 3d, 22mm, with the usual weakly struck JB in oblong stamp on reverse.
Malcolm