News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

John Banner, Attercliffe, Sheffield

Started by Figleaf, December 13, 2011, 12:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

No permission has to be granted by the museum and they want lots of information and also state: "Unfortunately we are unable to provide images that are currently in copyright (where the artist is still alive or has died in the last 70 years)." I don't know if this applies to these particular tokens of course.

The other point they are unlikely to provide the reverses of the first three and they only have the reverse shown of the £2.

(I have already contacted them about errors I noted on other pages)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

I added two more values to the WoT page today, a zinc 1/- (one shilling) and an aluminium 2/- (two shillings)

Quote from: brandm24 on July 23, 2019, 10:14:16 AM
I would think the "JB" stamps were struck lightly as not to distort the design on the other side. That would probably account for the weak areas shown on some examples.
Bruce

In fact this aluminium two shillings was stamped twice and the centre stamp really distorted the token quite badly.

We are still seeking a zinc 2/-

Malcolm

malj1

The John Banner decimal tokens have now been added to WoT with permission from Sheffield Museums Trust © unknown

We now need to find the £1 plastic issue to complete the section
Malcolm

Figleaf

It's great page, Malcolm. A microcosm of the heyday and decline of the small city department store. It's good to see their story illustrated this way, especially now that small shopping centres are under siege from the rising incidence of net shopping.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

This page is updated heavily now after I  spent extravagantly at the latest DNW auction.   :o

The highlight was a larger penny measuring 32mm i/o the more usual 29mm and even two of the plastic decimal series were added.

The only token missing now is a zinc 6d apart from the £1 which logically should exist although its not been seen in either brass or plastic as yet.

I wonder whether use of the, as yet unseen, brass £1 could have continued into decimalisation?  ???
Malcolm

Figleaf

Rewarding yourself for achievements is widely recognised as positive behaviour. You certainly deserve your reward. Thank you for a great page. Old John Banner would have been proud of it.

We'll find that sixpence one day, even if it's only a picture. I don't know about the missing pond, but I like your hypothesis. It sounds frugal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

We now have the zinc 6d (sixpence)

The collector wishes to remain anonymous.

Please keep seeking the £1
Malcolm

Figleaf

One hole less and another reference. Great going, Malcolm. Catching up for lost time, are you? Kudos to the anonymous collector for sharing.

Peter