Author Topic: Recommendations, please  (Read 11677 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Recommendations, please
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 11:40:48 PM »
:) A bit of a frustrating fiddle though as I said before; I.E. focus, brightness etc. and the image moves the opposite way to that which you expect. Plus the stand is lousy as the microscope is too heavy  ::) for the stand.

Like I said its all a matter fiddling the adjustments - too much or not enough light etc. gets quite frustrating - I can do it better with my scanner!
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
I can do it better with my scanner!

True enough, but that's not the whole story. Suppose you are wrestling with a big batch of Spanish coins with dates in stars as well as with bad eyesight. Rather than scanning all the coins, enlarging the picture on your screen etc., you'd want to take quick looks with a USB microscope.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 11:50:04 PM »
Going to get one of these things .

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ˇ UK
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
True enough, but that's not the whole story. Suppose you are wrestling with a big batch of Spanish coins with dates in stars as well as with bad eyesight. Rather than scanning all the coins, enlarging the picture on your screen etc., you'd want to take quick looks with a USB microscope.

Peter

Don't know about you Peter, but I find I don't have big batches of Spanish coins all that often :)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 11:56:22 PM »
Don't know about you Peter, but I find I don't have big batches of Spanish coins all that often :)

I have no Spanish coins!  ;D
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Think lists of duplicates (as you know, some people collect by year.) Anyway, it was just an example. Other examples are the initials on the truncation of British Indian coins, the H on British farthings, dates on small Nepalese, Thai and Israeli coins, the number of ruddy berries in ruddy wreaths ;) or the mintmarks on modern Indian coins - they're supposed to be different, but not to mine eyes. Any sort of batch will contain at least a few coins I need to enlarge quite a bit.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 12:11:31 AM »
Yes you are right - just a gentle leg pull :) but I do have to fire up my old XP machine to use mine [it won't work with my 64bit PC Win7] by the time it is ready I have forgotten what I turned it on for!
Malcolm

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ˇ UK
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »
Think lists of duplicates (as you know, some people collect by year.) Anyway, it was just an example. Other examples are the initials on the truncation of British Indian coins, the H on British farthings, dates on small Nepalese, Thai and Israeli coins, the number of ruddy berries in ruddy wreaths ;) or the mintmarks on modern Indian coins - they're supposed to be different, but not to mine eyes. Any sort of batch will contain at least a few coins I need to enlarge quite a bit.

Peter

You mean you can use it on other coins too :o

;D ;D

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ˇ UK
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 12:31:29 AM »
I owe to certain forum member many things. One of them is this coin and his suggestion to use it as a model. So let's use some progressive zoom.

It's a very underrated portrait the Edward VII - usually found worn to a smooth outline.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »
me too, sometime this year.
Dale

Going to get one of these things .

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2012, 12:39:16 AM »
I have a whole big pile of duplicate Spanish coins....don't particularly want to look at them that close though. Although that little bitsy date in the stars is frustrating sometimes.
Dale

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 05:29:35 AM »
Now six months since you bought this microscope Peter, so time for an update on whether you like it, still use it etc., whats the verdict?

...or are there no more Spanish coins?  >:D
Malcolm

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
Now six months since you bought this microscope Peter, so time for an update on whether you like it, still use it etc., whats the verdict?

...or are there no more Spanish coins?  >:D

Don't know about Peter, but I can tell you my experience about the low cost microscope I bought (and a few Spanish coins  ;D ) .

Honestly, I haven't used it much, as I have not spent so much time on numismatics lately. Time is very important here. Anyway, it has been very helpful when I needed it.

Again, I must admit that it is a cheap solution to get average results when you get a photo from a coin :
Spain KM#666 5 Pesetas 1871 (*74) Amadeo I (Diameter 38mm)

But it is good enough for me when I get into details, as for example the date on the stars that you mention :

Another example, this coin is about 18 mm.
Spain KM#730 50 Céntimos 1910 (1-0)  Alfonso XIII

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »
It was installed for a short while until we moved. I used it with much pleasure to have an instant enlargement, as my eyesight was deteriorating. After the move to France, the eyes had become worse and treatment became unavailable while the French and the Dutch were trying to let the other country give me (obligatory) medical insurance, or rather, they both did nothing, hoping I'd go away. This is still (after 7 months) an ongoing question, so it will be months before I can see enough to have benefit of the microscope again.

Peter

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »
I actually have one of those USB with 8 leds to lighten the object since some 2 years.

My experiences:
You need a stand (tripod) and you need a "foot" to place the object on to get the proper distance between the lens and the object.
You need a USB cable of 3 meters (at least I do) since I have a 1/2 tower CPU and my table is a couple of meters away, but I can see my monitor from the table.
You need a lot of experince to focus the thing (quite difficult)
Complicated to "take foto" since the buttom on the microscope makes it "shake" = blurred image

So what do I use:
A 12 Mp Nikon with it's macro function mounted on a tripod and a home made "foot". Normal indoor light is good enough.
After having made the coin fill the frame completely (with MS Picture Manager) I end up with a 1 Mb image. That image is so detailed, that I can isolate what I need to "zoom" upon. All that from one fast foto.

I have gone from scanner, over microscope to end up with a normal, macro digital foto and I'm faster, less stressed in focusing, having a better quality and I'm happy with that.

My avatar has been done with my Nikon and the original image is 2.2 Mb, what would I want more?

Ciao
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/