News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Accidental coins

Started by Figleaf, February 09, 2008, 03:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Truckload of 2010 coins dumped
Staff Reporter, The Province
Published: Friday, February 08, 2008

Somebody just missed out on a really, really long free ride at the video arcade.

A tractor-trailer lost control and went over an embankment on the Trans-Canada Highway near Kamloops Thursday, spilling a huge load of newly minted 2010 Olympic coins.

Towing crews and police were still at the crash scene Friday afternoon, after a long night guarding the precious cargo from potential looters or unscrupulous numismatists.

It's expected the full load of pennies and quarters, fresh from the Canadian Mint in Winnipeg and bound for the Lower Mainland, will be recovered.

The cash value was not disclosed, but it was a big shipment.

"I think the scene was pretty well contained," said Kamloops RCMP spokeswoman Const. Randi Love, who said the truck crashed at about 7:40 p.m. two kilometres from the Savona lookout on Kamloops Lake.

A crew of about a dozen people was loading the coins into bins Friday, while a towing company arranged to winch the big truck back up onto the road.

Love said a driver and passenger in the trailer were sent to hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

Source: The Province
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

"unscrupulous numismatists"????

Surely there is no such creature?   ;D

Dale

Figleaf

Like police and recovery crews, they have scruples growing out of their ears! :D

I would have liked a picture of the coin Niagara...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Brett

I wonder if they have accounted for every coin in the shipment??

Figleaf

Normally, those packages of coins are really heavy, Brett. Now if one broke that's another story. Even in the best of circumstances it'd be unlikely that you'd find all of them. Some metal detectorists must have fun there when the police went back to parking tickets...

Peter