Author Topic: India French Fanon  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
India French Fanon
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:09:18 AM »
This coin weighs 2.3 grams and appears to me to be Km 67, minted in Pondichery, one source said, or in Bhultcheri.  Are they the same place?
The date, according to the standard Catalog, is to be found above the w/p.  Well, I see the "P" but most of what might be the date is off the flan.  Could I take a guess if I knew what script was used on the coin?  It appears to be Persian.  Could the date then possibly be xx52, or 1752?
richie
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:15:30 PM by Quant.Geek »

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: India French Fanon
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:05:12 PM »
I could not find any reference to 'Bhultcheri', but I did find one to 'Phulcherry':

"The original village was tended so well by the French that the Indians called it Phulcherry, meaning 'flower town'. The word was corrupted by the French to Pondichéry and by the English to Pondicherry."

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
Indeed, the name on the coin reads Phulcherry. E. Zay: Histoire Monétaire des Colonies Françaises, Paris 1892, mentions the name Bhultcherry, but his translation is wrong, as the initial letter is a 'P', as seen on several specimen. Also there is no 'Te' indicated after the Lam, so the correct spelling is Phulcherry. The date may be (1)75(1, 2, 3 or 4).
The reverse legend reads: Frans Campani (French Company = Compagnie de France)

translateltd

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »
The "t" is a French phonetic requirement - French "tch" = English "ch"; without the "t", French speakers would read the second half of the name as "sherry".

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »
Thanks for this explanation. That would make the French phonetic transliteration Phultcherry.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 06:27:28 PM »
Great discussion. Thank you everyone. 
I don't know where the "Phul" of Phulcherry is derived.  "Phul" or even "Ful" were words used to mean flower in present day Hindi and Urdu I believe.  It is possible that the French had help in mis-naming the place from Indian Traders not of that area. According to one source, the original name of the place was Putucceri, from the Tamil:  putu, "new", and ceri, "village". 

Richie