Author Topic: New Zealand: silver and bronze coinage specification queries  (Read 906 times)

translateltd

New Zealand: silver and bronze coinage specification queries
« on: December 04, 2011, 11:34:24 PM »
I'm trying to compile a database of specifications - diameter/weight/metal composition - for all of New Zealand's coin issues since 1933 as I've realised that not all the information is readily available from any single source, and in many cases the information that is published (with regard to post-1990 NCLT in particular) is inconsistent.

Can anyone provide information or confirmation regarding the following queries, please, with source references if possible?

- The "50% silver" coins that were issued between 1933 and 1946, and the 1949 crown: what metals made up the "other" 50%, and in what proportions?

- For the bronze coins, I have "Cu 95.5 / Sn 3 / Zn 1.5" for those struck between 1940 and 1959, and "Cu 97 / Zn 2.5 / Sn 0.5" for those made after 1959, including the decimal 1 and 2 cents of 1967-88.  I seem to remember the 1959 change reflects a change in UK coinage composition in that year, but my notes regarding NZ are not recent, and I'll have to go chasing sources again to confirm.  If anyone has something readily to hand to confirm the 1959 change, that would be very much appreciated.