Author Topic: VOC duits  (Read 17584 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: VOC duits
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 06:11:26 PM »
The Dutch arrived in the Gold Coast in the first half of the 16th century. The fortresses of Komenda and Kormantsi were built in 1548. The VOC was established in 1602, the WIC in 1623. Both had an interest in the Gold Coast, the VOC for supplying fresh food and water to ships on their way to Asia (the Cape colony had a similar function), the WIC for the slave trade. The VOC had a monopoly for Dutch trade on Asia, the WIC for the slave trade. It seems likely that the WIC started running things from or shortly after 1623.

VOC coinage started only in 1687, so you are quite right as far as coins are concerned. However, a gold bar with the VOC balemark was recovered from Ghana, so I presume the VOC was handling the trading posts in the Gold Coast area at least between 1602 and 1623, without issuing coins there.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline giladzuc

• GILAD ZUCKERMAN COINS COLLECTION - KUMPULAN MATA-MATA UANG
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 03:47:29 AM »
Are you sure about Ghana? I always thought the West African possessions were in the hand of the West Indian Company.

As for Sri  (Shri) Lanka , the DUITS where exacly the coins used in "HINDIA BELANDA", Netherlands Indies , 2 of the DUITS that listed in INDONESIA list were found in Sri Lnaka

http://giladzuckerman.webs.com/mercuguinness.html#INDONESIA

Other Dutch coins minted for Sri Lanka were differents from Netherlands Indies Duch coins , 2 of Duch Sri Lanka's coins are listed here :

http://giladzuckerman.webs.com/mercuguinness.html#LANKA "I STUIVE" (!) AND "2 S" ARE THE FACE VALUES , respectively.

As for GHANA it is an innovation for me.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »
In principle, the VOC was supposed to have its coins struck in the provincial mints of the Republic. In practice, the VOC acquired minting rights locally. The locally struck coins are struck with local means and technology. That means that whereas a VOC duit struck in the Republic would be thin, a copper coin struck in South India or what is now Sri Lanka would be thick and heavy. Similarly, silver VOC coins struck in the Republic would have the specifications of other silver coins struck there, while locally struck silver would be struck according to local specifications, e.g. silver fanams, rupees or fishhook money. The only VOC inventions I can think of are the "bonk" types, including the 4-3/4 stuiver bonk. However, these are emergency coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »
However, these are emergency coins.

Does it means with frozen years ?

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
Does it means with frozen years ?
No. Why would you conclude this?