Author Topic: VOC duits  (Read 17620 times)

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Re: VOC duits
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 10:59:38 PM »
@ Richie,
This particular mintmaster's name was Knol; so he took the vegetable representing his name as his privy mark.
Interesting detail: Jan Knol was in office 1715-1741. His early coins had a turnip with almost no offshoots. Throughout his office his privy mark showed an increasing quantity of greens.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 11:59:30 PM »
I see, it was Mr. Turnip Head symbolically spouting an increasing abundance of wealth for his family and liege lord!  ;D  I suppose if I had been a mintmaster, I would have done similarly.  But the added growth on the coins would have represented my increased propensity to cultivate ear and eyebrow hair.  :D

But all kidding aside, I guess having the name of Turnip was not considered a negative in the 18th century.  In college, I once had a roommate named Knoll; a German name I believe. Is Knol a common Dutch name?   
richie

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 10:15:53 AM »
Is Knol a common Dutch name? 
@ Richie,
Even today, Knol is a rather common Dutch name. The telephone guide of my area lists dozens of people by that name. The only negative use of the word knol in Dutch I know of is "Iemand knollen voor citroenen verkopen" (selling someone turnips as lemons)
Regards,
a3v1

Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »
Thanks a turnip bushel!
I now have a new appreciation for the VOC duit.
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 11:19:16 PM »
Read more on turnips and turnips on coins here.

While turnips were cheap, common and disliked when I was young (admittedly a long time ago) you'll have a hard time finding them for human consumption today. They were commonly served cut in long bars, called "dead fingers". Great to enhance your appetite...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 05:12:58 AM »
Thanks Peter, I missed that thread of last September. I agree with Dale's pronouncement though; THAT is a turnip!
I'd better stop adding to the turnip discussion or the thread will be severed and my turnip recipes will end up in the basement!  :'(

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »
Thanks for the info, Peter.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »
Would it be correct to refer to these Duits as "Indo-Dutch" coins?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
I think people would understand the expression in context, but it is not correct.

VOC money struck in the Netherlands is generic and used for all of its colonies and trading stations in what is now Ghana, South Africa, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia and Taiwan. KM lists the coins under Netherlands East Indies, but they were not used there only. Locally struck VOC coins were used locally only with the exception of cases where one trading post would strike coins especially for another and all these coins were presumably shipped to the other trading station.

In this country, they are referred to as VOC coins.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:49:25 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »
Thanks Peter.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »
To all experts , may  I know which year VOC duits (coppers) are scrace .

Some how I started developing  interest in these coins and want to acquire few in my collection.

Estimated price range , recommendation for  reference books , study  material will be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »
The only book I could advice you is: C. Scholten: The Coins of the Dutch Overseas Territories, 1601-1948, Amsterdam 1953. It provide also the various varieties and scarcity of the different issues.
The original publication might be hard to obtain, but there are facsimile reprints which are less costly, and provides the same information. See bookfinder for this title.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
Generally speaking the duit coins are not difficult to find. The half duit coins are a bit of a challenge, but should surface from time to time also. The listing in KM, available on Numismaster, is sufficient for a want list. If you want to dig deeper, Scholten is indeed still the standard reference. His scarcity scale is no longer correct, but a reasonable guide. He also lists coins in other metals, but his listing of plantation token is incomplete. A word of warning: Scholten is a numismatist, not an economist. Some of his remarks on pricing are off the mark.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:14:20 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
Thanks a lot Gentlemen for quick suggestions & recommendations !

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 05:13:28 PM »
VOC money struck in the Netherlands is generic and used for all of its colonies and trading stations in what is now Ghana, South Africa, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia and Taiwan.

Are you sure about Ghana? I always thought the West African possessions were in the hand of the West Indian Company.