Author Topic: Items Missing from Courier packet  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
Items Missing from Courier packet
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:42:13 AM »
Hello All
One of my friend sent me few old notes in Courier. when I opened the same I found Nothing.
I have already raised an issue with courier company. What more can be done?
Vivek
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:15:37 AM by Vivek »

Offline kena

• UK-Yank
Re: Items Missing from Courier packet
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »
Vivek,

Sorry to hear about this problem.

Probably out of luck but more details needed:

What country\countries involved?  I never knew on any company could ensure that the parcel would get from one country to another with risk of it be tampered with.  I am back to trusting the post (but with splitting stuff to multiple shipments) more now for getting stuff from the US rather than getting someone to hand carry stuff back since the TSA was formed.  A friend had to put a roll of quarters from his carryon luggage to checked baggage since the TSA nutcase said it was a weapon.

What courier company?  Most are funny about sending money via them and would say tuff luck.

What the parcel damaged in anyway?  Maybe the items were not nicked but lost along the way so you could ask them if something was turned in but that let's them know that you are a collector.  Is it worth that risk?

Have you checked with the sender, was something acutally put in the parcel on their end?  This has happened to me once, got a parcel from the US but the sender forgot to put the coins in.

Ken

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »
In India it is illegal to send currency notes or cash through courier. Most medium sized couriers stamp that on the package. If so, I do not think that they will take any action. Courier parcels are routinely opened and inspected by airport security..........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »
I believe that is currency that is current use. If it is no longer legal tender there is no restriction. Light fingers have stolen it.

Offline MWM

• MWM
  • Intrested in Indian coins and Paper money
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »
Dear All,
If that so, how do you ppl send Papermoney/ Coins to each other? How do you all exchange with each other?
rgds,

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
My friend sent these currencies from Mumbai to Pune through DTDC.
Few were still legal note and few are withdrawn.
Vivek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »
There is probably nothing more you can do. Check for damage before you accept a package and refuse damaged packages or at least open it in the presence of reliable witnesses (not family.)

I have developed a trick that has worked so far: seal the enveloppe with sticky tape and write the exact weight of the package half on the tape, half on the enveloppe with a felt pen a few times. It seems impossible to me to remove the tape hastily without damaging the lettering and on receipt, you can check the weight and refuse a package that is significantly lighter. This would not help with a few coins or banknotes, but for heavier packages, it will work.

BTW, this method is of course similar to a protection with wax seals, which would also work, as long as the package is not too roughly treated.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
Hello All
Lost Items recovered 8) 8)!!!
Many Many thanks to my friend for his intense follow up. DTDC had removed notes from packet and were at their office in Mumbai!!
All notes are OK. Now I need to collect them from Mumbai this weekend. :-\
Only thing I could understand was why DTDC didn't inform me or my friend about the same.
Any ways "All's Well That Ends Well" >:D
Vivek

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »
Had a similar experience with Trackon courier (slowest and the worst if you are in Goregaon), the sender did check with the local courier office but they were clueless. The sender was so frustrated that he decided that he will never sell items to me in the future (LOL still don't understand why he did that)  ;D

In your case I am really surprised as DTDC is one of the best courier companies and so far I have found them excellent when it comes to customer service and honesty. :)
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Items Missing from Courier packet
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »
WoW You are indeed very lucky! :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline MWM

• MWM
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »
Hi All,
Got the Notes back at DTDC office. All 95 notes were UNCs. The person at DTDC said that they suspected that there is passport inside and they opened my packet. They found currency inside and since it is not allowed, thet took out the currency notes and send the document to pune. He said it is routine for them to open some sample/suspected packets.

Anyway happy that we got the notes back. :)

Offline MWM

• MWM
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
Also need to mention, in this whole incident, Vivek, not once suspected me and took full responsibility for the loss. As I was feeling very bad, he repeatedly assured me that it was his choice to send the parcel by courier so I need not worry and its his mistake. Really cool person....Thanks Vivek.. :)

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:58 PM »
I would say DTDC  staff has handled the issue professionally with honesty .

Well both Vivek & MWM has to send coins to each of member who has been posting in this thread  giving suggestions/advise.(LOL) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:13:16 PM by aan09 »
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 05:23:56 AM »
Hi
When i make a swapp with other collector,i send in registred and if is one letter is not an obligation to put the CN22 for the customs with that is inside and for a packet yes but is legal.
I pay for the registration and i can put notes or coins and the post office dont ask that is inside .If the letter dont arrive or arrive opened i make a complaint and i say that inside is documents and is good like that . The post office make a enquete and is relly i have an indemnisation aroun 150 US dollar. Yes but is with french post office
Do you understand my english ? if no ad soon is christmass and you can make a translater for a gift ;D ;D ;D
Best regards  Gerard

Offline MWM

• MWM
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 05:26:04 AM »
Dear aan09,
I could have but you know it is illegal to send papermoney/Coins by courier. So i cant   ;D ha..ha...