Author Topic: Akbar, AE Dam, Sherkot mint, AH98X, KM#28.48  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Akbar, AE Dam, Sherkot mint, AH98X, KM#28.48
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »
Mass=20.6 g

Obverse

Reverse
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:34:56 PM by Overlord »

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Akbar, AE Dam, Which mint?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
To consider as a first step...
It seems we have over "falus" : sir (or shir) ko (not sure..) and the letter "t" at top, which may give "sherkot".
reverse : the line under "sanah" should be the "i" of "fi" : "fi sanah nuhsad...." (900...)

I am not at all certain, it's just to start the discussion ...and the controversy
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Akbar, AE Dam, Which mint?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 03:41:32 AM »
Brilliant!

Many thanks Saro. You hit the bull's eye with Sherkot and made my day. I managed to find this excellent post by Oesho for verification. This is the variety without the mint epithet "Qasbah".

I am quite happy to have picked it up unattributed for Rs 200 (about US $4). This is the first coin I have of this mint.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:47:05 AM by Overlord »

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Akbar, AE Dam, Sherkot mint, AH98X, KM#28.48
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:31:29 AM »
Congratulations, indeed a good acquisition ! the comments in your link on Sherkot coins are of high interest.

On reverse on the coin, I haven't been able to see "80" in letters, why not "70 ?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Akbar, AE Dam, Sherkot mint, AH98X, KM#28.48
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:53:07 AM »
No coins from 970s have been reported for this mint, and the part of the top line visible seems to closely match the last example posted by Oesho.

Anyway, there seems to be an interesting controversy surrounding the mint (see the link posted by shariqkhan in the other thread). For those, who are not members of SACG, I post both Liddle's note and Jan's reply below:

From Liddle:

C.R. Singhal in his "Mint towns of the Mughal emperors of India" pp. 197-199 observes that "Amirkot is really Sherkot".

If one studies the works of contemporary historians namely Abul Fazl "The Akbarnama", Gulbadan (Humayunnama), Nizammuddin (Tabaqat-i-Akbari) etc. it would be seen that Akbar's birth place is described as Amarkot by all of them. H. Nelson Wright in his "Coins of the Mughal Emperors of India" (Catalogue of the Coins in the Indian Museum Calcutta) regarding the mint town of Amirkot mentions ..."this mint town which is dentified by Dr. Codrington in his Musalman Numismatics as Amarkot in Sind, Akbar's birth place...". there is no valid reason why a place which was named Amarkot be written as Amirkot on the coins.

Amarkot was the place where Humayun and his family were provided shelter by the Rajput Chieftain Rana Vishal Prashad. According to Akbarnama, as per the desire of the Rana and and supported by a contingent of 7000 from the Rana's army, Humayun had just marched out to Sindh when he received the news of Akbar's birth. Amarkot, with facilities for housing a fair sized army must therefore have been a "Kasba" (Small town) justifying the epithet on the coin. On the other hand Sherkot was a village near Bijnore in the Tarai Region of the Gangatic valley. With this background we will compare the two coins. It would be seen that the coin of Amarkot bears the mint epither "Kasba" whereas Sherkot does not. It has a pour petalled flower as mint mark and bears dates as "nuhsad haftad etc," (nine hundred seventies). On the other hand the Sherkot coin, does not bear the epither Kasba, has no mint mark and bears dates as "nuhsad hashtad" (nine hundred eighties). The Sherkot coin has two dots to mark the "Yay" whereas the Amarkot coin does not have these two dots. In case one does insist that both coins refer to the same place it would imply that a Kasba in the (nine) seventies had shrunk in the (nine) eighties justifying the dropping of the mint epithet! The two coins thus clearly originate from two different places.

From Jan (at SACG):

"...Prashant P. Kulkarni wrote in
Numismatic Digest vol.IX, 1985, p.83-87, an article "Akbar's Dam of
Amirkot".

He came to the conclusion that what could be read on the coin "is Mirkot,
which may well be Amirkot, but not Sherkot", according PPK. P.L. Gupta in
his Editors'note proves on historical grounds that the coins can't be of
Amirkot in Sind, but he suggests "one will have to see Amirkot or Mirkot
elsewhere. He points-out further that the two type of coins relate to two
different mints. "This explains well the presence of the epithet Qasba on
one and its absence on the other." according to PLG.

I had again a closer look on Shariq Khan's copper dam and if you look close,
the name could start with a 'Mim' See:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,2286.0.html

Anyway it's clear that the problem isn't solved as yet. Amirkot or Umarkot
in Sind, on historical grounds, can't be the mint town. The issues without
the epithet can be safely assigned to Sherkot. The coins with the epithet
Qasbah still proves a problem. Qasbah Mirkot would make sense, but no place
of any significance with the name Mirkot can be located anywhere in Northern
India or the region of the Himalayas."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:02:03 AM by Overlord »

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member