Kirkee ordnance factory canteen token

Started by Figleaf, November 03, 2011, 01:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Kirkee may sound Scottish to you, but the place is actually near Pune, in India. This canteen token for the Kirkee ordnance factory looks like it was struck in the last years of the British colonial period. It reminds me the large-holed pice coins struck from 1943. The tokens central hole is slightly ex-centric.

I find the three Musketeer's slogan amusing, the scales of justice puzzling and the AFCS logo inscrutable. Armed Forces Canteen Service?

Peter

edited title
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on November 03, 2011, 01:52:51 AM
Kirkee may sound Scottish to you, but the place is actually near Pune, in India. This canteen token for the Kirkee ordnance factory looks like it was struck in the last years of the British colonial period. It reminds me the large-holed pice coins struck from 1943. The tokens central hole is slightly ex-centric.

I find the three Musketeer's slogan amusing, the scales of justice puzzling and the AFCS logo inscrutable. Armed Forces Canteen Service?

Peter

It appears the hole varies; Mine has a slightly odd shaped hole but different to that shown and another fairly common variety has no central hole.
Possibly the scales of justice might refer to the British EIC who used this device.
I read the AFCS logo as Ammunition Factory Canteen Service.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

Is this one on eBay too good to be true? Its expensive!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190620110922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have three days to decide!

Are these still being produced? mine are all brass ones.
Malcolm

malj1

Unfortunately that dealer remarks...

Note- No Shipping/dealing with buyers of out of India, dealing / shipping within India ,with Indian citizens only........... I deal with Indian buyers. collectors, living in India only.....

???  :'(

I shall perhaps wait for another copper example; not as rare as he suggests.
Malcolm

Figleaf

I suspect the tokens were struck from metal recuperated from used ammunition shells. Some of these are copper, most are brass. They may even have mixed the two. If so, you would find the tokens in a range of colours, from chocolate brown to bright yellow.

Ironically, the French revolutionaries did the same when they expropriated church bells to strike copper coins. They are now described as copper or brass, but are actually a varying mixture.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Another from the Ammunition factory at Kirkee,

aluminium 40mm

Khadki (Kirkee) has two major Ordnance Factories - Ammunition Factory Khadki and High Explosives Factory.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Yes, same place, but obviously after independence and I suspect it is a tool token, not for use in the canteen. A good illustration of the use versus users dilemma.

Peter

malj1

But they all are military related regardless, ........so should not be here.
Malcolm

Figleaf

You have the power to move them, Malcolm. I just made a quick sort, looking at thread titles only, in an attempt to help. Note that munition factories are not necessarily government agencies. See here for an example.

Peter

malj1

Yes but even there they made arms for the military.

See my munition factories these were both private and government for both world wars.
Malcolm