Author Topic: Christ's Hospital or the Bluecoat School  (Read 916 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Christ's Hospital or the Bluecoat School
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:57:20 AM »
With the purchase today of the halfpenny piece, I have completed my trio of Christ's Hospital tokens.
Christ's Hospital produced d, 1d and 6d. tokens in 1800. they were struck by order of the Governors for the 'Blue-coat Boys' and could only be spent at privileged tradesmen's shops. Any pocket-money a boy might possess had to be changed into Hospital money before it could be spent at any of the shops within the walls of the ancient foundation. only the currency of the establishment was allowed within the precincts. 
This institution was founded by Edward VI in 1557 on the site of the Grey Friars monastery as a hospital for poor fatherless children and foundlings. It became known as the Bluecoat School which finally moved to Horsham, Sussex, in 1902.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Christ's Hospital or the Bluecoat School
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:00:31 AM »
The set wasn't complete after all as there is variety of the penny without the floral arrangement above and below.

In the meantime the price of these has sky-rocketed but recently found a cheaper one that is damaged. (A sixpence was sold for 100 recently whilst 115.00 is being asked for another currently)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.