Bangladesh: 1996 Five Taka Coin Variety

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, October 31, 2011, 07:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

Does 1996. Five Taka coins have variety. Today I noticed difference that I found from circulations. Pics not possible right now. Descriptions follows:

Bigger one:
Diameter: 27 mm from one of the 12 sides to opposite one. Thickness: Functionally less than 2 mm
Similar to 1994 five taka in shape and look with a few difference.
Rim edge is flat.

Smaller one:
Diameter: 26.5 mm
Thickness: 2 mm
Rim edge is raised
Design of cloud is not same.

My question is are these both mentioned in KM? If so are the from same mint? Is it possible to find two variant from same year?

Islam

Afrasi

This variety is known to collectors, but not in KM or Schön. According to Schön the pieces of 1994 were made by the Royal Canadian Mint, the pieces of 1996 by the Indian Government Mint. Probably the 1996 pieces were made later with frozen date by another mint. Again the Royal Canadian Mint?

Here are pictures of the both mentioned coins:

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: Afrasi on October 31, 2011, 08:44:47 PM
Probably the 1996 pieces were made later with frozen date by another mint. Again the Royal Canadian Mint?

I think its a right guess. 1994 and 1996 bigger one are of same size and look. So, probably they are from the same mint.
Another note is that the bigger version has poorly executed edge than that of smaller ones.

Islam

Bimat

Quote from: Afrasi on October 31, 2011, 08:44:47 PM
the pieces of 1996 by the Indian Government Mint. Probably the 1996 pieces were made later with frozen date by another mint. Again the Royal Canadian Mint?
Are you sure? I'm asking this because during the same period, Indian government had outsourced the coin orders to several overseas mints (Moscow, Slovakia, Mexico, Tower mint, Pretoria)  as our four mints were not able to meet the domestic demand for coins. So under these circumstances I think it's very unlikely that they would accept coin minting orders from Bangladesh..I too have heard that Kolkata (Calcutta) mint has struck coins for Bangladesh but there's no reliable evidence for that. Or is there any? :-X

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Md. Shariful Islam

I guess there was no fridge date. But from the availability of 1996 coins I guess the bigger ones were issued first and then due to demand the smaller ones were issued from another mint. The smaller ones are easy to find in circulations and the bigger ones are comparatively less found (in circulation).

@ Bimat: not impossible that the coins were issued in a mint in India (though not for sure). Sometimes order from Bangladesh is more feasible than producing for local currency and producing currency for local currency in another country. I hope explanation is not needed.

Islam 

Afrasi

Quote from: Bimat on November 06, 2011, 06:04:08 AMI too have heard that Kolkata (Calcutta) mint has struck coins for Bangladesh but there's no reliable evidence for that. Or is there any? :-X Aditya

Source is the catalogue of Schön. Mr. Schön usually gives confirmed informations - instead of KM ...

Globetrotter

Here is my documentation of the 1996 5 taka coins.