Author Topic: Ahmad Shah Bahadur, Paisa, Peshawar.  (Read 1302 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Ahmad Shah Bahadur, Paisa, Peshawar.
« on: October 26, 2011, 04:25:16 AM »
This one looks like a paisa in the name of Ahmad Shah. The mint name reads Murshidabad.

1) Is my reading correct?
2) Would this be a Mughal issue or a British issue?

Amit
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:17:27 PM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Ahmad Shah, Murshidabad? Please help.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
The mint name is Peshawar. Most likely Ahmad Shah Bahadur (KM#440.2)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Ahmad Shah Bahadur, Peshawar, KM#440.02.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »
Dear Oesho,

thank you for the attribution. I was confused as the name looked like Murshidabad but some of the letters did not fit.......

Amit

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 05:48:11 PM »
Dear Amit, If your initial attribution was correct, you would have been the first to discover a copper coin of Murshidabad.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
Dear Oesho,

Numismaster lists a Dam of Peshawar Mint in the name of Ahmad Shah Bahadur KM#440.02. The Dam Weight varies 19.70-20.20 grams. However my coin is quite light. At 11.3g, it is a little heavier than a 1/2 Dam. So are 1/2 Dams of this ruler and mint known?

Amit

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »
Dear Amit,
I must be a paisa. Coins of Peshawar are rare and as such little or no statistical information is available.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Ahmad Shah Bahadur, Paisa, Peshawar.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
Thanks Oesho. I have changed the topic name and removed the KM reference and added the denomination.

Amit

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 01:48:00 AM »
I think the “Ahmad Shah” here is Ahmad Shah Durrani, rather than the Mughal ruler. See https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=177874

Either that or the one on Zeno is misattributed.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
I think the “Ahmad Shah” here is Ahmad Shah Durrani, rather than the Mughal ruler. See https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=177874 Either that or the one on Zeno is misattributed.

Here is a short discussion between two greats of Indian Numismatics which conclusively proves that it is indeed Durrani and not Mughal:

Stan Goron Can't tell from the coins but while Whitehead listed one of these with RY 4 in the Punjab Museum Catalogue of Mughal coins under Ahmad Shah Bahadur, in his catalogue of Durrani coins he lists one of RY 7 under Ahmad Shah Durrani, saying that Peshawar was ceded by Muhammad Shah to Nadir Shah and belonged to the Durrani empire. Copper coins of Peshawar in the name of Nadir Shah and dated 1160 are known (see PMC III coin 66, pl II.3)
Lots of Durrani coins were struck at Peshawar from Ahmad Shah onwards.

Jan Lingen In Delhi, on 1 May 1739, Nadir held a darbar and urged all the nobles and officers of India to obey and please their Emperor. With his own hands, he placed the crown of Hindustan on the head of Muhammad Shah. The Emperor bowed low in gratitude and said "As the generosity of the ShahanShah has made me a second time master of a crown and a throne and exalted me among the crowned heads of the world, I beg to offer as my tribute the provinces of my Empire west of the river Indus, from Kashmir to Sindh, and in addition the subah of Tattha and the ports subordinate to it." From now on the trans-Indus provinces and Afghanistan were lost to the Mughal Empire.
Therefore any coin from Peshawar mint, after this date, can’t be a Mughal issue.

So it can be confirmed that this is indeed a Durrani issue. Thanks Overlord for bringing this one out.

Amit

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »
Amit already has solved the question. On historical grounds there can't be any Mughal issues in the name of Ahmad Shah Bahadur from the Peshawar mint. Nadir Shah Afshar took the town on its way to Delhi in October 1738 (AH1151) which was confirmed by Muhammad Shah during the Durbar of 1 May 1739 (AH1152) when the of provinces west of the river Indus were ceded to Nadir Shah. After the death of Nadir Shah in 1747 (AH1160) Peshawar fell to the Durrani Empire and became its winter capital.

The misinterpretation of attributing it to the Mughal Ahmad Shah Bahadur or Durrani Ahmad Shah happened because they were about contemporary rulers, viz.:
Ahmad Shah Bahadur AH1161-1167/AD1748-1754 (disposed, died AH1188-1774).
Ahmad Shah Durrani AH1160-1186/AD1747-1772.