Author Topic: Non heads of state on multiple nation coins  (Read 9449 times)

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Non heads of state on multiple nation coins
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »
So far I am yet to get the name of Person and countries list.

In other words, I assume that my contention about Braille being unique in this respect of Thematic coins, is correct.

Such a very specific list is not to be found on Amazon - it has to be painstakingly researched. Probably it is impossible to compile a comprehensive list, but presumably even one other example would satisfy you. Here is a tool you could use: the 'site' command. Find a useful web site, go to Google and enter 'site:' + the URL + the subject to be searched, then click on Images to see if any coins come up. Here are two examples, using old Christian's favourite singer, Elvis:

site:http://en.numista.com/catalogue Elvis

site:http://www.gcoins.net/en/catalog Elvis

Now all you need to do is to search for all the famous or infamous personalities who have ever existed, and you're finished!

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »
sounds like a nice pass-time activity... >:D

enjoy (don't forget Steffy Graf and Ayrton Senna and all the others)
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline anand

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 01:25:27 AM »
would James Cook, the explorer qualify in this category? He was a captain in the British Navy if I am not wrong. I have seen him on coins from Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, Samoa to name a few. And i remember seeing/reading that he has been on most Pacific islands currency.

Offline anand

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 01:38:36 AM »
I think the group of explorers/sailors can be found on multiple country issues. Another name that comes to mind is Columbus. I think there have been issues with him on coins in many Carribean Island issues along with USA.

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 03:11:46 AM »
would James Cook, the explorer qualify in this category? He was a captain in the British Navy if I am not wrong. I have seen him on coins from Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, Samoa to name a few. And i remember seeing/reading that he has been on most Pacific islands currency.

And his country of origin was England, yet he has not been commemorated on the coins of the UK, which fits one of Pabitra's crucial conditions. As for Columbus, he was from Genoa, now in Italy, but he was employed by the Spaniards when he made his discoveries. You could therefore say that, in today's terms, you must exclude coins from Spain and Italy in order to meet Pabitra's criteria. My guess is that either Spain or Italy (or both) will have issued coins that honour him. But with Cook you are onto a winner.

Offline anand

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 03:45:29 AM »
You are right, I did find a few coins from Italy which had Columbus on them.

doing a further search on this, i found few more explorers who were not commemorated by their birth country but others: Ferdinand Magellan, Francis Drake, Amerigo Vespucci to name a few.

Moving from the theme of explorers, I found Ernest Hemingway was on coins from Cuba, Jamaica. And i dont think he is on any US coins.

paisepagal

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 06:45:05 AM »
Braille was commemorated on French coins, so it does not matter if Columbus was feted on Italian/Spanish coins. Columbus features on US, columbian and Portuguese coins...so he fits the bill!

Galileo too  ...pn Austrian and Ukrainian coins

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
Nothing wrong with the approach of finding countries/mints that honor people from other countries on their coins. Actually I find that quite interesting (if we leave Palau, Cook Islands and the like out). But Christopher Columbus is a good example of why the attempt of applying today's countries, borders, passports etc. to people who lived centuries ago is questionable at least ...

I mentioned composers before as music is a (by and large) global language which does not have to be translated. Other "candidates" would be Mother Teresa (already mentioned here) or Albert Schweitzer. And when the "jubilee" of some scouting organization is not be commemorated on coins, Robert Baden-Powell shows up several times. :)

Christian

Offline mrbrklyn

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
umm Benjamin Franklin?

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 12:22:25 PM »
He has definitely been on more than one French coin. Not sure about other countries (except the US) but may well be ...

Christian

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »
Question is, how far into the world of African/Pacific NCLT do we want to go? ;)

I take a very liberal view of what is a coin. Any piece of metal, listed in WMK or SCWC is a coin.

Thinking about it, the front runner in this search must surely be Jesus, closely followed by his mother.

Could you name an achievement or attainment, which was commemorated on a coin?
Which country have you taken as his country?

Mahatma Gandhi has been depicted on quite a few world coins.. :)

Again, exclude his centenary of birth in 1989, which had coins issued by his country, India too.

Another person who probably appears on quite a few of such coins: Elvis Presley. Nah, wait, he was a king ...

Another was Muhammed Ali, the boxer.

Now all you need to do is to search for all the famous or infamous personalities who have ever existed, and you're finished!

To some extent, I have done that.

sounds like a nice pass-time activity
enjoy

Sure. Join the fun. Do not get irked by the contributuon of your country in not honouring your fellow citizen when the rest of the world did that.
For this theme, it is the biggest contributing factoe that France did not honour Braille in that year.

Braille was commemorated on French coins

Was Braille commemorated by France on his birth's bi-centenary?

I think the group of explorers/sailors can be found on multiple country issues. Another name that comes to mind is Columbus. I think there have been issues with him on coins in many Carribean Island issues along with USA.

Good idea. That is the spirit but please do continue the search till you get an answer.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 08:58:09 AM »
Was Braille commemorated by France on his birth's bi-centenary?

190 years yes, 200 years no. See reply #5. :)

Christian

translateltd

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
"countries of fortune", as our member translateltd puts it: that is, they are only out to make money with their issues and therefore they are not to be taken seriously

I think my expression was "countries of convenience", in the sense of territories sought out by mints to lend their names to legitimise otherwise stateless Coin-Like Objects, but this an equally good term.

firstly, 'his' implies a man;

Not to speakers of English uncontaminated by LookOverYourShoulderism, or PC: it's convenient shorthand, as well as referring to Man as the name of the species, rather than lower-case man the sex, though I suspect you know that deep down.