Author Topic: Channel Island predecimal SHORT sets  (Read 1958 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Channel Island predecimal SHORT sets
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »
In the 1960s, the circulating coins in the UK were as follows: halfpenny, penny, threepence, sixpence, shilling, two shillings (florin), half crown (two shillings and sixpence).

Jersey had its own circulating coins, but only in the following denominations: 1/24 of a shilling (halfpenny), 1/12 of a shilling (penny), and one fourth of a shilling (threepence).

Guernsey had its own circulating coins, but only in the following denominations: four doubles (halfpenny), eight doubles (penny), and threepence.

What was the point of having coins that only went up to threepence? What were the historical reasons behind this? UK coinage also circulated in the Channel Islands, so presumably they made do with UK coinage for the higher denominations. When decimalisation came, both Jersey and Guernsey matched the UK coinage with a full range of decimal denominations.

Here are the reverses of the Guernsey predecimal coinage. The Jersey reverses are more boring.

Guernsey's final pre-decimal coin series was designed in 1956.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:46:08 AM by <k> »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Channel Island predecimal SHORT sets
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:50:50 AM »
Found no information on the subject. My best guess is that traditionally, the copper coins were French and the silver and gold was English. The copper coins on the English standard would be a kind of transitory solution: still different from the British coins, but easier to add up to shillings. The next step could have been having British coins only. Instead,decimalization gave a boost to coin collecting and a new source of income was born...

Petre
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:41:05 AM »
We've discussed elsewhere the fact that the shilling in 'offshore' areas was sterling, while the subsidiary coins were tariffed at different rates in terms of the English shilling (e.g. 13 pence originally in Jersey, 14 in the Isle of Man, and I think 13 in Ireland prior to 1823).  On that premise it would have been natural to import English coins of 1 shilling and higher for local use, but to have smaller subsidiary denominations of specifically local types.  Still odd that no higher fractions of the shilling than a (local) penny were introduced until the mid-20th century in Jersey and Guernsey, and never in the IOM.  (Or did English sixpences circulate for 7d Manx and 6 1/2d Jersey prior to 1839 and 1870-something respectively?)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »
As a matter of interest, I can share a 6-1/2d pub token from Guernsey, I think may possibly be around 1870-something ...

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:13:17 PM »
Another very nice one, Malcolm. I woud take it for a clear indication that British currency was secondary for small payments. Is this piece catalogued?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
'Is this piece catalogued?'

No, McCammon only lists the 2/- for this issuer; [I have this 2/- too]
I would expect a 1/- to have been made to complete the picture.

As they only mention Trinity Square I can imagine there are some out there unattributed.

Please check your junk boxes!

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.