Author Topic: 2012 two pound coin celebrates Charles Dickens  (Read 13521 times)

Offline SandyGuyUK

Re: 2012 two pound coin celebrates Charles Dickens
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 01:46:31 PM »
If it wasn't for the fact that he's appeared on the £10 note and that people may be aware of what he looked like, this would simply look like a plume of smoke coming from an industrial chimney.

It's almost like back to the 80s for the Royal Mint, snatching design defeat from the jaws of victory! (a la Commonwealth Games £2, Silver Jubilee Crown, Queen Mother's 80th Birthday etc).
Ian
UK

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »
The designers initials look (but it's hard to tell from the picture) like MD.

It looks to be another design produced flat on a piece of graphic design software with no thought put in to using the depth available within a coin design.

It's reminiscent of the WWF 50p.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 03:21:23 PM »
The designers initials look (but it's hard to tell from the picture) like MD....It's reminiscent of the WWF 50p.

Don't tell me - the infamous Matthew Dent!  >:(
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
Well they didn't ask me if I wanted to give in a design, boo!!!!

Offline SandyGuyUK

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »
Oh dear... That would explain a lot....  Dent did a fair enough job with the execution of the circulation set (although personally I find that the heraldry theme is way past its sell by date) but he really should stick to doing other types of design and steer away from all these coins which are miniature PowerPoint slides!

Whilst I'm in curmudgeon-mode, does anyone else feel that some of the other designs from the Royal Mint recently have been something of a let-down?  I'm thinking of the 2012 £5 coins issued last week for the Olympics (not so much the Paralympics) and also the Diamond Jubilee £5. 

The Olympic coin design looks very "spindly" - particularly how the skyline of London's been shown and frankly, how many more sport coins do we need to see from different countries showing lots of sport activities in a circle around a central logo/insipid design.

As for the Jubilee £5, I can see what they were trying to achieve in echoing the Victoria Jubilee medallion, but there's something about the execution of the whole thing that just strikes me as looking really naff.  I think it's a mixture of the font and beading on the obverse which looks very "Pobjoy Mint"-esque and the "Gillick" portrait on the reverse which looks like a very poor copy and seems to have the Queen frowning which I'm sure was never the case with the original.  Again, it's nothing I can exactly put my finger on - after all the font seems similar to that used on other coins such as the 1965 Churchill Crown's obverse but that looks a far superior design aesthetically speaking (not sure about the reverse - *that*'s another story).

The Royal Mint *can* do some good coins when they put their mind to it as evidenced with the 2012 gold sovereign design but there seems to be far too much tat being issued the rest of the time.  The 2012 "traditional" Britannia design is a classic and shows another example of good design - compare that with the horror of the cut and paste 2011 version - i.e. Britannia pasted over a Union Jack/Flag. Aaagh!

Does anyone else think the same or am I just getting picky in my old age?!  ::)
Ian
UK

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »
Sloppy design is not a British monopoly, but they can certainly do it. If you check the UK and commonwealth designs on this board, you will find that in the past, some remarkable designs were rejected. You will also find that issuing a new coin took years. KM has 20 pages on UK coins in its 19th century part, 25 pages (a 25% increase) in the volume for the 20th century and my old book (2008) for the 21st century counts 7 pages for the UK, which extrapolates to 84 pages for the century. Catalogue numbering starts with 700 in 1800 and is at 1200 now, suggesting that over 40% of all British types was issued after 1800 (it will actually be worse, because this rough estimate neglects all modern the off-metal strikes with a, b and c suffixes.)

In other words, there is a great need for new designs and the pressure is on to produce new types in months, rather than years. They have already used the cop-outs of children's designs and "let the public design the coin" and probably found it neither saved time nor produced a consistent quality. Short of hiring foreign designers, the only way out is to accept much lower standards of design.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 07:18:07 PM »
In recent years the UK appears to have followed in the wake of the Royal Canadian Mint in producing coins with coloured appliqués and inserts, and using coin designs by children, as Figleaf has just pointed out. Part of that is a result of commercial pressure, as the Royal Mint is required to turn a profit.

Since the mid-1990s, the RM has produced more innovative designs and ditched a lot of the heraldry and symbolism in favour of thematic designs that the ordinary person can relate to. In the past 15 or so years they have produced some superb designs: the Johnson's Dictionary 50p is my favourite, but just last year they produced a marvellous Marie Rose design for the two pound coin. The bridge series of pound coin designs is also a favourite of mine. This last effort by Dent, the Dickens design, looks like an unsuccessful experiment. While I regard it as a failure, I commend the RM for experimenting and pushing the envelope: sometimes they will succeed, sometimes they will fail; we can't expect perfection every time. Most years they produce something superb, alongside a fair amount of dross. My advice is, ignore the dross and concentrate on the quality.

I'm a particular fan of thematic designs, and you can see from these two topics that they have a longer history than you would imagine:

The Origins of Thematics

Danish West Indies

However, I think a tipping point came when Percy Metcalfe, a Royal Mint engraver, produced his much admired Barnyard Series for Ireland in 1928. This was a thematic set that came to be a standard that other countries measured themselves against. The Royal Mint subsequently produced many thematic sets for the Empire and Commonwealth, so I think they greatly extended the use and popularity of good design worldwide, while remaining rather conservative at home. If you look at the new 2011 sets from Samoa and Morocco, I think you can see evidence of the influence of the Anglo-Saxon approach to (overseas) design in them.

translateltd

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 07:32:48 AM »
The Dickens design looks like a map of Brazil at first glance.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »
Would have to see one "in person". The image looks odd, but let us keep in mind that the coin will be much smaller. Hmm, maybe I should buy one in order to find out. :)

Christian

Offline kena

• UK-Yank
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 02:18:59 PM »
Would have to see one "in person". The image looks odd, but let us keep in mind that the coin will be much smaller. Hmm, maybe I should buy one in order to find out. :)

Which method are you planning on getting on since the cheapest option from the Royal Mint web site is £8.50?

Ken

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »

Christian

Smaller image. Still not attractive. How many people would guess the outline was meant to be Dickens without prior knowledge? Very few, I should think. I'm putting up an e-petition on the UK government website for Matthew Dent to be beheaded.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
Hmm, yes, a little too "playful". And no, I do not expect to get that one at face. Will see; in previous years I have ordered sets (including circulation types and commems) from the Royal Mint, as shipping - even UK>DE - was inexpensive. But I might as well wait until I see it at a coin show or so around here ...

Christian

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »
I have bought coins sets every year for the last 7 or 8 years maybe, but this year I don't think I can be bothered, they are getting expensive, beyond what should be reasonable, and without a 50p in there either.

£20.50 without any commemorative and £8.50 for the £2 (holy moly 4.25 times the normal price for the £2) So that's £29
£39.00 with £2 and £5
Not one without £5 but with £2, which is normally what has happened before.

So the £5 is £10 as well.

It's all ridiculous so I won't bother!!!! I do like collecting from circulation, and only had the sets but it isn't worth it any more!

translateltd

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »
I'm putting up an e-petition on the UK government website for Matthew Dent to be beheaded.

Where do I sign?  Then again, they may just chop off a map of France or something and hope we won't notice the difference.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
2012 two pound coin celebrates Charles Dickens
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
New Charles Dickens coin honors author

(December 6th, 2011 @ 4:52am)

LONDON (AP) - The Royal Mint has come up with a novel way to wish Charles Dickens a happy 200th birthday- striking a new coin with a portrait of the author made up of the titles of some of his most famous fictional works.

The 2 pound ($3.20) coin will be available early next year. The celebrated Victorian novelist was born two centuries ago on Feb. 7, 1812.

The design released Tuesday shows a portrait by artist Matthew Dent that uses titles like "David Copperfield" and "A Christmas Carol" to form a silhouette of Dickens' face.

The portrait is based on a bust of the author on display at the Dickens Museum in London.

The edge of the coin is inscribed with the quotation "Something will turn up," associated with the Wilkins Micawber character in "David Copperfield."

Source
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.