Author Topic: Pondicherry Rupee, Ahmed Shah Bahadur  (Read 1535 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Pondicherry Rupee, Ahmed Shah Bahadur
« on: October 14, 2011, 05:19:55 PM »
I have ten of these Pondicherry Rupees with the crescent mint mark,  this is the only one of Ahmed Shah Bahadur, others are Alamgir II and Shah Alam II

For some reason it has been really heavily Shroff marked & drilled inc all round the edge, it's weight is 11.35g

RY 3 so AH1163
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:40:19 PM by Quant.Geek »
Vic

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Re: Pondicherry Rupee, Ahmed Shah Bahadur
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:44:33 AM »
Beautiful Coin!!!
These rupees have been listed under ARCOT (Arkat) Princely State.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »
Beautiful Coin!!!
These rupees have been listed under ARCOT (Arkat) Princely State.

Abhay

Not Princely states , these Rupees with the crescent mintmark were struck for the French India possession at Pondicherry , although having the mint name Arcot they were apparently struck at Pondicherry
Vic

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:36:33 AM »
Not Princely states , these Rupees with the crescent mintmark were struck for the French India possession at Pondicherry , although having the mint name Arcot they were apparently struck at Pondicherry

What I meant was that in the World Catalogue, these coins are listed under the Heading ARCOT under the section Indian Princely States. (!701-1800).

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:43:34 AM »
What I meant was that in the World Catalogue, these coins are listed under the Heading ARCOT under the section Indian Princely States. (!701-1800)

Abhay

I can now see what you mean  ;D, I think the Rupees just simply follow the traditional style of countless other early princely states coins based on the Mughal Rupee pattern.

Arcat was a very busy mint  over a very long period going right back to the Moghul era,  it seems many coins bore the Arcat mint name but were not actually struck there as in the case of my rupee, under the Princely states it points out that the actual products of the mint were differentiated from pseudo mints by a four petal flower or star next to the RY

looking at KM#1 for Ahmed Shah I wish my coin was the Princely states version as it's listed as RRR   :o

Vic
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:49:51 AM by capnbirdseye »
Vic