Author Topic: All the fakes  (Read 61458 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: All the fakes
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2012, 10:59:19 PM »
100% positive feedback and over 4 stars ::)

Congratulations! Every victory that makes the life of fraudulent sellers less easy is very worthwhile. I am sorry you had to go through so much trouble for such an obvious fraud. Maybe eBay India will take you more seriously next time. Thank you from all of us.

Peter

Congratulations! Yes a major victory  :)

- but -

we shall have to be alert to find his new identity which will most surely happen in a few days or weeks!  ::)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »
Dear Friends

Few months back I lodged complaints with ebay against a seller selling fake coins. After lots of efforts; ebay finally closed the account of the seller.

Yesterday, I saw few more fakes being sold on ebay India.
http://www.ebay.in/sch/infinitedeals2012/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_trksid=p3692

I lodged another complaint with ebay. Lets wait and watch. I am not sure if ebay will respond or not.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2012, 03:27:34 AM »
I see he has been dealing for all of three weeks  :o

So, if you close one down, who knows where he will bob up next?  ???
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline The Oracle

• Honorary Member
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
Dear Friends

Few months back I lodged complaints with ebay against a seller selling fake coins. After lots of efforts; ebay finally closed the account of the seller.

Yesterday, I saw few more fakes being sold on ebay India.
http://www.ebay.in/sch/infinitedeals2012/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_trksid=p3692

I lodged another complaint with ebay. Lets wait and watch. I am not sure if ebay will respond or not.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

sigh.  the good name of the silver medal manufacturer is being sullied decades after the fabrication.    India is probably the only country where these coins were made with no intention to deceive.  truly a magnificent piece. 

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2012, 03:58:53 PM »
This guy even had the image of a proof coin when he first listed, I guess delcampe made him change it or he realized he would get no buyers with "coin similar to image" phrasing

http://coins.delcampe.net/page/item/id,166376941,var,india-1919-8-annas-very-rare-clean-see-2-scans,language,E.html

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2012, 10:35:53 PM »

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2012, 10:39:03 PM »
Adding image before eBay takes it down.

All the other "coins" listed by the seller are fake including a couple of brockages. All these have modest bids and hope these are not genuine bidders and just shills.  :)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »
Please follow Kansal's example and complain to eBay. Even if your individual complaint does not help, the statistics may make an impression some day.

Of course, this is not about the maker, but about the unscrupulous seller. Anyone can make a mistake, but if you make the same error habitually, something is wrong. People are not THAT stupid.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »
Just a short note. It is great that people are trying. I stopped fighting Ebay for a number of reasons. One was that they are purely cash driven and don't really care about the end customer. Their only fear is getting caught selling fake designer fashion type material or pirated movies etc where large coporations can sue them.

The absolute mockery they make of the justice system when called to account in America shows that corporate size, corrupt lawyers and either totally stupid judges (or perhaps worse) or paid off lawyers for the complaining side will defeat any case any day no matter how good the case is.

If you want to buy from Ebay then its your problem.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »
Another fake coin listed on eBay. This one is the 1955 2 annas -- malnoutrished lions variety.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-2-Annas-Government-India-Rarest-Coin-V-V-Extra-Fine-Condition-/120897334021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item1c260aeb05#ht_500wt_1416

The coin finally sold for Rs. 21300.00 :o :o :o
I wonder who the buyer was. Must have loads of cash stacked with him. ::) ::) ::)

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

akona20

« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2012, 08:25:27 AM »
Out of spite I sent the seller a message. Hopefully it will get me banned from Ebay.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2012, 03:36:21 AM »
Dear Akona

I am glad to share the good news. I received a message from ebay that they have taken action against the seller. Ebay has removed all of his coin listing.

http://www.ebay.in/sch/infinitedeals2012/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686http://

The seller was also selling Rayban sunglasses. I dont have expertise to judge if they are also fakess.

This is my second victory against the fakes.

I request you to please dont lose heart. I noticed that you have started writing (Old Man). You are a fighter. You can never be old

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
Congratulations and thanks, Sanjay. You did a decent thing by making the effort and I am glad it worked.

Of course you could argue that the seller will soon be back under another name, but that is only the static part of the story. The dynamic part is that the more likely it gets that fraudsters are found out and have some kind of punishment (if only having to start from scratch at eBay), the higher their cost of doing business is. That means that either their prices must go up to cover that risk or their income goes down, so they are more likely to give it up. By hitting one dealer, you are having an indirect influence on all fraudsters.

I know this sounds theoretical, but there is scientific evidence that it works this way, from a study into corporate fraud done in the US. The correlation between incidence of fraud and chances of getting caught was shown and a model showed the likelihood that it was not a nonsense correlation.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
Great job, Mr. Kansal. I am happy that someone is taking extra efforts and thinking beyond personal gain.  :)

Good job!!
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2012, 03:48:03 AM »
Dear Akona

I noticed two more fake listings on ebay:

1969 Gandhi 10 Rs

1970 FAO 10 Rs

I informed ebay India. Lets see if they take any action or not. Based on my past record, I am hopeful that they will take some action.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:05:28 AM by kansal888 »