Author Topic: German East Africa 1/4 Rupee 1910  (Read 3062 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
German East Africa 1/4 Rupee 1910
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
Another interesting coin, I think it's KM#8 but the descriptions are all wrong in KM as it describes the obverse on this series with the denomination within wreath as "Rev: Shielded arms, denomination below"

The error is also listed for 1/2 & 1 Rupie.   KM#3 shows the proper version with shielded arms
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:24:47 PM by Afrasi »
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: German East Africa 1/4 Rupee 1910
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
Quite right. Data base problem. The shielded arms version was struck until 1902, the wreath version from 1904.

This coin would benefit from a treatment with a soft eraser, since details of the uniform are still visible, it is in nice condition, but obscured by the black stuff.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:41:17 PM »
I've given them a brief rub with a pencil rubber which cleaned them a bit,  I haven't cleaned a lot of my coins which aren't of my main interest as I might eventually sell or swap & leave the cleaning to the new owner
Vic

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »
The coin with the Shielded Arms.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline villa66

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
I've given them a brief rub with a pencil rubber which cleaned them a bit,  I haven't cleaned a lot of my coins which aren't of my main interest as I might eventually sell or swap & leave the cleaning to the new owner
You've been showing some really delightful pieces--really--and I've experienced the usual collector's mix of admiration and envy. (The Thai copper was...wow!).

But I have to confess that when the top of this coin came into view, what went through my mind was something like "Dang, chrome; someone's ruined this thing...well maybe not ruined. But not helped."

The subject of coin cleaning is a minefield I know, and I myself routinely remove glue and tape residue with acetone, and wipe or flick dirt and wax off the surface of coins--but ever since I took a pencil eraser to that '51 Franklin as a kid, I've known I'd never do it again.

But of course we all have our own opinions of what makes (or unmakes) a coin's eye appeal.

;) v.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »
I actually prefer to see the coins with a darker background myself  but with the inscription lightly wiped over to show the lettering detail, cleaning coins to look like new does not appeal to me at all, a huge number of my silver coins have darkened over the years & added to that a large number had previously been rescued from a fire in India long ago with some with a shiny black residue that won't come off.
Vic