Author Topic: The coins of old Austria-Hungary, in cardboard.  (Read 3580 times)

Offline villa66

• Meritorious Member
The coins of old Austria-Hungary, in cardboard.
« on: September 19, 2011, 01:11:12 AM »
From a contemporary German postcard album, two soon-to-be relics of a different day.

:) v.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: The coins of old Austria-Hungary, in cardboard.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »
Don't have such cards myself, but they sure were useful for world travelers (not that there were that many yet) and probably coin collectors too. Thanks for showing them here!

Christian

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »
From one of these I reconstructed Kwangtung flag. Might be still wrong, but most accurate you can find today. Flags of Chinese provinces didn't exist or never used, thus info is extremely hard to find, as no local or national symbols were allowed in Imperial China.

On topic, did anybody notice instead of 2 Corona/Korona is Florin/Forint :)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »
On topic, did anybody notice instead of 2 Corona/Korona is Florin/Forint :)

Yep, but note the digit: As far as I can tell, that is a "1 Frt" piece, and the 1892 currency reform replaced the old Gulden/Forint with the new Krone/Korona at a 1:2 rate ...

Christian

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
They did indeed (again stole some silver from ordinary mortals, like in all reforms), and I guess those were still circulating until 1911 when 2 Korona pieces were actually made. So we might consider this card to be printed around the turn of the century.

Offline villa66

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »
...So we might consider this card to be printed around the turn of the century.

Exactly. (There are plenty of indications to this effect within my album of these things, but my favorite, maybe, was the appearance of the 1902-3 25-centesimi on the Italian card.)

The flag on the Kwangtung/Hupeh card is a gold ball on a red field...guess it's what you found also.

:) v.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 01:37:18 AM »
Nice. Found an album with 45 postcards like this, from the following countries:  Argentina, Austria-Hungary I, Austria-Hungary II, Austria-Hungary (Jubilee Coins), Belgium, Brazil, British East India, Bulgaria, Chile, China (provinces: Kwang-Tung and Hu-Peh), Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, Finland, France, German East Africa, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Italy, Japan I, Japan II, Morocco, Mexico, the Netherlands, Netherlands East Indies, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Siam, Spain, Straits Settlements / Hong Kong, Sweden, Switzerland, Transvaal, Tunis, Turkey I, Turkey II, the United States of America, Uruguay and Venezuela.

The album dates from about 1912. The exchange rates are also quite interesting. These didn't change much from about 1870-1914.

Here are a few picture postcards, and I do requests.
-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »
On the first two post cards is "zur Belehrung" (for educational purposes) and "zur Information" (for information), which gives an idea of how the makers thought they should be used. I imagine they would be of use in Germany and Austria, where a bewildering variety of types and denominations were still in circulation. Maybe initial success with the Germanic only cards drove the production of the international booklets?

They are a nice  example of high-tech printing, with paint colours approaching the metal colours and high embossing. Amusingly, the coins illustrated are not rigorously all from the same series, but they do represent the denominations I imagine were in circulation at a certain time.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »
As far as I know these cards were also used on cruise and line ships to inform the passengers about the currency of the next harbour.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »
I have seen them before. A nice historical collectible.
Dale