Author Topic: Electrolysis - Before and after.  (Read 6006 times)

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
Re: Electrolysis - Before and after.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »
I am not sure what the "weird color" would be. If the coins are over cleaned, they may be stripped to a near pure copper surface, if some of the tin is leached out, that would make them pinkish in color. Using the soda mix, and low voltage, tends to leave them a more normal tan or brown color.

Bruce

Offline aristonazir

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 01:28:34 AM »
When i was a little kid, one of my cousins told me to clean my coin collection (only a hundred of coins those days), putting them in vinegar for a month! All of them together: coppers, copper-nickels, nickels, irons etc. A total disaster for my little collection. A layer of "dirt" has covered all my coins and also their shiny lustre has gone! This was a good lesson for me.
Today i decided to try cleaning some of them using electrolysis (12 V/with soda). I also make a "test" in some silvers. The result is good. Here is one of my childhood's collection.
"Η πενία πολλών εστιν ενδεής, η δ’ απληστία πάντων".
"Poverty is lack of many things and greed of all"

Aristotle

akona20

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 01:38:43 AM »
I have used electrolysis extensively to clean "uncleaned" coins. I have had some spectatcular results from dry climate coins.

Offline aristonazir

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »
Unfortunately in Greece the climate is not so dry :( All the coins here, from the ancient ones to the modern, are very "friendly" to oxidization...
"Η πενία πολλών εστιν ενδεής, η δ’ απληστία πάντων".
"Poverty is lack of many things and greed of all"

Aristotle