Author Topic: Schwertner und Cie Zeichen  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
Schwertner und Cie Zeichen
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:45:55 AM »
A token from Schwertner Company in Graz Austria.  This is the earliest example from them I have that I can possitively identify as theirs.  It has the added bonus of being a "55" token  ;D  The company started in the 30's to the best of my knowledge but I know nothing of the early products. >:( and they are not cooperative in enlightning me.

It is Brass and 23mm in diameter.  These tokens were "standard" issue for the year and could be bought in bulk for whatever purpose you needed.  Sooooo...in some instances it might actually have been used as a real working token but mostly I suspect it was given as a wish for good luck in the new year.

Dale
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:40:31 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Schwertner und Cie Ziechen
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:15:45 AM »
The company web site is here. They present two product lines. One is sports prizes, medals and the like (click on Zeichen f?r Sieger, then on M?nzen for an example of what they call their "coin" production). The other is machines for plastic molding and injection. This is a technique to make all kinds of plastic parts. The company started in the forties with similar product lines. They may have produced your token themselves.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:06:42 AM »
They may have produced your token themselves.
Peter

Hummm...Interesting choice of words.  I believe I have evidence that they did produce it, why would you chose "may" have produced it themselves?

I am familiar with their website.  I like to visit it now and again to see what is going on. ;D

Also I was told by an ex-employee that the company started in the 30's....where do you see 40's?  I am not being argumentative, I have a great desire to get the facts right.  It is an area I have an interest in  ;D

Dale

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 03:13:07 AM »
Also one of the things I have been unable to discover about the company is weather they have a connection with Johann Schwerdtner (1834 - 1920) or Carl Maria  Schwerdtner (1874-1916), bot well known Medallists and Engravers.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:43:31 AM »
Here they claim to be over 70 years old, which lands you somewhere before 1938, but on the home page they say the sports prizes line is 80 years old. The machinery product line dates from the forties, according to the home page. In all cases, the two medallists were dead by that time, which doesn't exclude that they are related, of course.

I said they may have produced it because they obviously have the machinery and knowledge to do it, so it would have been odd to outsource the new year medals, but I've seen no hard evidence.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:40:59 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »
I said they may have produced it because they obviously have the machinery and knowledge to do it, so it would have been odd to outsource the new year medals, but I've seen no hard evidence.
Peter

I guess I don't have any hard evidence that they actually produced it either. One of the ex-employees I traded with said he had made them there in the 80's....  One of the management people I talked to in the company told me all the climbing pig tokens were theirs but he didn't specify that they had always actually made their tokens themselves.  The other ex-employee told me he had made them in the 90's.  But with that being said,,,who was minting them in 1955 or the 1960's or 1970'?   Standing on hard factual information, I guess I don't have a clue who made those or this token.   

Dale
Dale

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Re: Schwertner und Cie Zeichen
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 09:38:21 PM »
I started collecting these tokens a long time ago...maybe about the year 2000. For all that time i never saw a token earlier than 1953 that I was sure was Schwertner's.
A friend of mine in Great Britain got this token and kindly sent me the image.

It doesn't answer the question when Schwertner first made tokens but it does mean I now need to look for an earlier year.
I am thrilled to learn this.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Schwertner und Cie Zeichen
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 11:59:33 AM »
Congratulations, Dale. It may not be as impressive as discovering the grave of Richard III ;), but in its own modest way, it does contribute to the industrial history of Austria.

Peter