Author Topic: Alamgir II? Rupee, Mint: Surat, Date off.  (Read 2003 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Alamgir II? Rupee, Mint: Surat, Date off.
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »
Is this a rupee of Alamgir II Shah Alam I? There is a third character after the A & Lam leading me to believe it is Alamgir. The mint mark is distinctively Surat.

Please help.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Re: Alamgir II? Rupee, Mint: Surat, Date off.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »
Hi,
I guess that's a rupee in the name of Alamgir II of bombay presidency mint surat.. it can have ry 2,3,4 or 5. I have a very similiar coin in which ry 3 is visible..
correct me if I'm mistaken
cheers  :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:20:40 PM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
It's a rupee in the name of Alamgire II. It's not an issue of the British East India Company, but of the Nawab of Surat.
The British took over the control of the Nawab's mint at Surat in May 1800. From than onwards the fixed Ry.46 of Shah Alam II is put on the coins.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »
Thanks for the info.. but in this website http://baldwin.co.uk/coins-of-india/ the above coin is mentioned as alamgir II second type in bombay presidency.. please check and clarify my confusion..
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
Thanks for the info.. but in this website http://baldwin.co.uk/coins-of-india/ the above coin is mentioned as alamgir II second type in bombay presidency.. please check and clarify my confusion..
You must have consulted the wrong page. If you follow 'British India >Bombay Presidency >Bombay mint >Mughal Style, Milled >AR Rupee 1832-35', you will see the same rupee and described as:  Sikka Mubarak Badshah ghazi Shah Alam 1215 = The auspicious coin of the victorious Emperor Shah Alam, AH 1215

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »

The coin listed there is of the Mumbai mint and not Surat........ this coin is Surat mint........

Amit

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »
Oesho,
I just checked the page but the coin posted by asm is a hammered coin and I think the coin matches with that given for alamgir II.. U said that the coin is not of bombay presidency and that of nawab of surat.. after what date do u consider the coin to be of bombay presidency?? that was my confusion
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »
Shame, I thought I was answering the question of the milled 'Surat' rupee. (Abhinumis his symbol).
In my earlier post I already described it as 'Alamgir II'. So regard the above message as not written.

Nevertheless to solve Abhinumis his confusion, he has been looking under Bombay mint. Under transitional mints, Surat is given, but that part of the webside is still not completed and can't be consulted.

My description of September 7th, therefore is still valid : It's a rupee in the name of Alamgire II. It's not an issue of the British East India Company, but of the Nawab of Surat.
The British took over the control of the Nawab's mint at Surat in May 1800. From than onwards the fixed Ry.46 of Shah Alam II is put on the coins.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »
Here is a dated coin in name of Alamgir II dated RY 4.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »
Two more coins of Alamgir II with date off but showing the Mughal style symbol in the 'Seen' of the Julus. (Probably the first image is of the same coin as the coin in the first post).

Amit