Junaghadh - 1/2 Rupee.

Started by asm, September 03, 2011, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Square area coins of Junagadh are listed as type KM#298 and KM#301. Both are not very easy to find. This morning I came across a 1/2 Rupee which I share. It is not my coin and circumstances dictated the quality of the picture. No other data is available.......

I did not see a Half rupee listed on Zeno or in Numismaster for this mint.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

A great fun discovery. Thanks for posting it here, asm.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Coinsforever

Quote from: asm on September 03, 2011, 01:03:15 PM
Square area coins of Junagadh are listed as type KM#298 and KM#301. Both are not very easy to find. This morning I came across a 1/2 Rupee which I share. It is not my coin and circumstances dictated the quality of the picture. No other data is available.......

I did not see a Half rupee listed on Zeno or in Numismaster for this mint.

Amit

Rightly said asm , the 1/2 rupees or fractional rupees are not so easy to appear for sale.

Past track shows that most of the auction houses offering rupee , mohurs in majority.

This coin seems to be in fine condition.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

asm

Quote from: aan09 on September 04, 2011, 12:50:41 AM
.....the 1/2 rupees or fractional rupees are not so easy to appear for sale.
In general the fractions are difficult to come by........ but I did not see even one fraction of Junaghadh mint when under direct Mughal control listed in ZENO or Numismaster.......

Amit

Oesho

Quotebut I did not see even one fraction of Junaghadh mint when under direct Mughal control listed in ZENO or Numismaster.......

You may have overlooked this coin

asm

Dear Oesho,

When I checked Numismaster, I found that coins of Junagadh were issued by only two rulers and hence, on Zeno, I checked only the two rulers........ I should have known better........

Amit

asm

I recently came across an article my Najaf Haider who mentions that the mint at Junagadh was established under orders of Shah Jahan to convert the local Mahmudi currency to Mughal Standard Rupees. This may be the reason that the mint minted intermittently and mainly Rupees. The mint, under Mughal control operated for a period of only a Hundred years.

Amit