News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Half duit 1769 VOC, West Friesland mint

Started by Figleaf, August 31, 2011, 10:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Elsewhere, Oesho argued that coppers are delightful worker coins, much underestimated. I agree with that sentiment. The half duit is the lowest denomination of VOC copper and some mints are really hard to find. This is a recent acquisition, after 40+ years of interest in the series. Not a beauty, but a hard worker.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Coinsforever

Quote from: Figleaf on August 31, 2011, 10:15:25 PM
Elsewhere, Oesho argued that coppers are delightful worker coins, much underestimated. I agree with that sentiment. The half duit is the lowest denomination of VOC copper and some mints are really hard to find. This is a recent acquisition, after 40+ years of interest in the series. Not a beauty, but a hard worker.

Peter

This  coin speaks its history , natural color & toning of copper is quite attractive.

Congratulations !

Cheers ;D

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Coinsforever

Apart from weight , size , mint marks  ,does 1/2 Duit has some special  features to differentiate from 1 Duit.

Cheers ;D

Figleaf

Designs and mintmarks are the same. The only ways to distinguish a half duit and a duit are size and weight.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Coinsforever

Quote from: Figleaf on December 03, 2011, 01:22:40 PM
Designs and mintmarks are the same. The only ways to distinguish a half duit and a duit are size and weight.

Peter

Easy  to proceed  then ,  now I'm thinking of counterfeit stuff but as you said duits are easy to find from time to time either need to be careful or simply gamble to have few .

Thanks again .

Cheers ;D

Figleaf

All the fakes I have seen are contemporary, easy to spot and interesting. It is not a worthwhile coin to modern counterfeiters.

Amsterdam is digging tunnels for a new underground line. As the soil is soggy, this means open excavations. Low grade VOC coins are regularly found during the digging. Regulation says work has to be stopped and archeologists called in when that happens, so bosses are pleased when workers will let the coins disappear in their clothes instead. The result is that VOC coins in bad condition are very easy to find, while high grade coins are rising in price.

So why are VOC coins found here? Well, they were contraband. Sailors and passengers returning from Asia were not allowed to import them. Some were left on the ship, but many were thrown at the mudlarks, poor, young boys, who'd dive after the coins thrown at them. This also explains why metal detectorists find some VOC coins way land inward. They did circulate in the homeland to a very limited extent, as they had the same specifications (but not the same value) as homeland coins.

Peter

SpaBreda

Finally found one for myself too  :D

They are very small as you can see on the picture ...

... ever since I read this article I've been trying to get one ...

Paul.

Figleaf

Congratulations, Paul. You will have noticed that yours was struck at the Utrecht mint.

Peter